Baby Registry List


Someone asked me a while ago for a list of stuff I'd recommend if you're having a baby.

Okay, this is totally my bag. I LOVE stuff like this. I researched long and hard before having Mela and had trouble finding recommendations from Moms who had actually put stuff to the test.

The only problem is, I've now learned it *totally* depends on the kid. I have friends who used stuff all the time that Mela showed absolutely no interest in.

Even among my two kids, I've noticed a difference (Mela was afraid of everything, Nathan grabs at knives with his bare hands).


So really, all I can say is what worked for us, so far.

In order to make this a really good list, please leave a comment on your experience with baby stuff, including what you couldn't live without and what you're still mad you spent real money on.

Update: If you're looking for even more info, I recently came across a similar list on the Rookie Moms site that might also be helpful.

Okay, here goes ...

The List
Items are divided into Furniture, although lots of them apply to more than one area.

FURNITURE:

  • Sleep place: You'll need somewhere for the little one to sleep. Traditionally, this meant crib. My parents also swear by a bassinet for your room (no one wants to walk down the hall 10 times a night) and for naps. Others choose to sleep directly with baby.

    We did the later but also used a bassinet (naps) and crib (when they start sleeping on their own). We tried both a co-sleeper (Arm's Reach) and sidecar-ing a crib with Nate but the co-sleeper wasn't as good as expected and the crib takes up a lot of room (and at this point, we needed to move him out of our room).

  • Glider rocking chair: Definitely get a comfortable one with padded arms (for the little head to rest on). I didn't find them very good for nursing until baby was bigger (e.g. 6 months) but with all the other soothing that goes on (teething, wide awake baby at 5 am, sickness, etc), it'll get plenty of use.

  • Change place (with pad and a couple of covers): Pretty essential to have a change place. I've used both the top of a dresser (with change pad) and an actual change table. If you have the room, it's nice to have the extra storage with a change table but not essential.

    Get a couple of cloth diapers (Sears) or use spare baby blankets to cover the covers. Seems weird but much easier to grab a new blanket and throw a dirty one in the wash than wash the entire cover every time you get a little smear.

    You'll also want a change station on your main floor (if you have a two-story house). We used our pack 'n' play because it had a change pad but you can also just have a basket in your living room with a travel pad, wipes, diapers and a change of clothes. It's way better than having to truck up the stairs all the time and sometimes (blow-outs) you need to change them stat!

  • Diaper pail: You really want something sealed to try and keep the smell in but avoid the ones that wrap each diaper in an individual bag (huge waste of plastic). Love the Diaper Champ.

  • High chair or booster: Don't need this until around 6 m but if you're registering, it's a big ticket item that people love to buy.

  • Stereo: For both bedtime lullabies and 2 am dance parties. We had one in the nursery and many a night, only the Jackson Five could get the little one to stop crying.

  • Mobile: Again, I read a lot about this and got the Tiny Love Symphony in Motion for Nate. He loves it but the company has severely ticked me off (motor broke, they sent me the wrong part, then changed their number and now refuse to ship new parts to Canada. EVIL!), so I'm not recommending it anymore. If you're in a pinch, can make your own with black and white shapes. Like you'll have the time.

  • Busy box or music box: I've got like three of them for Nathan's crib right now! My mom got him the Tiny Love one (which is great but they're still evil) and I've also used the Fisher Price Ocean Wonders Aquarium, which Mela loved. Mama loved it too, since it can buy you some critical sleep time in the morning.

  • Baby monitor: this depends entirely on how big your house is and how worried you are. First baby, you’ll definitely want it. Second baby, we haven’t used it as much. Handy in the summer if you want to do something outside but don’t want to leave baby unattended. If you have the money, everyone I know swears by video monitors (how much fun to see what really goes on during naptime!). I don't have the money yet, so I wouldn't know.

  • Lamp or dimmer switch: No ones wants the bright glare of an overhead light when they're trying to find a dropped soother at 3 am.

  • Clothes hamper: Get a decent size, since it will be full all the time. Oh, and if you get one that's wicker, don't put it next to the crib or you'll walk in after naptime some day to find your baby with a mouthful of wicker sticks.

  • Baby monitor: Used it all the time for first baby, not as much for second (since he slept in our bed until he could sleep through the night). Still worth it.

GEAR
  • Stroller (or ten): This is my passion. I could write a Master's thesis based on the research I've done. Let me know if you want a recommendation on this; I have too much to say to fit it here.

  • Car seat: Looked at Consumer Reports for this. In the end, went with Britax, for their safety ratings (and fabulously handy velcro on the non-tangle straps) but most top brands
    have decent ratings.

  • High chair (and later, a booster – which is also good for when friends visit): Main thing is to look for one with wheels. I've never used one with toy attachments, though they seem handy.

  • Playpen (ideally with a change table and bassinet option): Love our Graco Pack 'n' Play. Used it setup in our dining room for an embarrasing amount of time.

BEDDING:
  • Baby blankets: I use the regular kind for covering things (change tables, baby carrier, grass) and the most awesome stretch blankets for swaddling. Don't ask me what they cost, it should be illegal to charge so much for something that is so necessary.

  • Wash clothes: Funny story, I bought a little bag of these, thinking they’d be plenty. Then someone gave us another little bag. Then I accidentally bought a third bag when out shopping one day. I had over 75 baby washcloths! Ridiculous, right? Well, two years later, I’ve used them to shreds and am down to about ten. I actually have to buy more! So never underestimate how many baby washcloths you’ll use.

  • Carrier: I'm still working on this. What I know so far: 1) Don’t buy the Eddie Bauer. 2) Bjorn Active is good for small baby in front. 3) Ergo is a little hard to put on but you can wear in on your back once the little heifer gets into some serious poundage. Friends swear by the Lascal.

  • Slings: These work better for some people than others. I love the Maya Wrap Ring Sling because of the perfect stretchiness and great colours. Definitely has a learning curve though and not good once they get heavy.
  • Crib sheets (at least three sets)
BATH & HYGIENE:
  • Baby bath: We use the simple kind that has one side for little babies and one side for big babies. Fits in the sink or can set it in the tub. Works great.

  • Baby bath towel: Strictly speaking, not essential, but too cute to pass up.

  • Baby washcloths: Only used these for bathing when child was newborn but use tons of them for cleaning up after meals to this day.

  • Grooming/health kit: nail clippers, thermometer, tooth brush, etc. We’ve found it handy to have a couple different thermometers on hand, as well as some baby Tempra.

  • Pacifiers: One kid loved them and we had to buy twenty to make sure we were never without. Other kid hated them and they were a waste of money (until now!). Maybe start by buying a couple types and go from there (love the NaturSutton brand).

  • Products: Everyone has their own brands they like. I know Johnson & Johnson is the most popular (I always pictured using it on my little baby!) but now I've read too much about the evils of some common chemicals. I'm happy using the hippy stuff.

    Just realized though that I've been using their bubble bath on my little girl and it's basically a chemical cocktail of irritants (including Cocamidopropyl Betaine, a "penetration enhancer" that allows other chemicals to be absorbed). This is especially bad for girls, if you know what I mean. Dur.

  • Diapers & Wipes: Still figuring out the diaper thing. Re: wipes, watch out for popular brand-names since they contain propylene glycol (a petrochemical used in antifreeze that can cause skin irritation on tough adult skin). I'm not judging (use them on Mela now since they're so cheap) but when the babies are newborn, I used Seventh Generation and they almost never never got irritated. Some friends swear by cloth wipes or wet paper towels but I'm just too lazy.

FEEDING:
  • Pump and a couple bpa-free bottles (and some bags for freezing): You may want to wait and invest in a pump after you have the baby but chances are, even breastfeeding moms need to pump sometimes. We got the Avent one that has a automatic option (because my awesome friend Allison warned me that manual only is awful) and absolutely love it.

  • Nursing pillow: If you're planning to nurse, these can be essential. I also had to use a whole bunch of couch pillows. Tried both the Breast Friend and the Jolly Jumper .. the BF was great (flat surface) but takes more time to get on (has a strap that goes around your waist) so I'd reach for the JJ more. It's also nice for propping baby up, especially if you get the one that comes with little bears that dangle overhead.

  • Nice nursing cover: Don't laugh but I'm loving the "Hooter Hider"!
Things that you only use for a brief period but help save your sanity (Try to borrow from a friend, if you can):
  • Swing: Lifesaver #1. Actually changed my life with Nate the Great (Fury).

  • Exersaucer: You'll be able to cook dinner again! (This could be good or bad.)

  • Jolly jumper: Lifesaver #2. Both kids LOVED it, Nate spent entire days in it. (Not really, that would be crazy! Haha ... yeahhh...)

  • Crib rail covers: plastic strips to cover the top railings for when baby is going through a chewing phase. Nothing worse than your precious child gnawing directly on paint.

  • Bumbo: They outgrow it fast but before they can sit up, they love the view.

  • Swaddle blankets: For kid #2, this was one of the only things I insisted on getting. A great swaddle blanket is worth the cost, although they can be ridiculously expensive. If you know a handy sewer, buy some stretchy fabric and make your own!

  • Lazy boy recliner: Seriously. I read this advice on a website about breastfeeding and I used it to death with Nate. It was also awesome when I was 9+ months pregnant with a 10 lb baby and daily contractions.

SPLURGES:
  • Nice crib bedding set: I'm a sucker for a pretty bedding set. I've even started using the "evil" bumper pad, since Nate is past the SIDs risk and keeps waking up at night 'cause his feet are stuck in the rails.

  • Video monitor: I'd love to have one of these. I've heard nothing but rave reviews but have never been able to stomach the price.

THINGS OTHER PEOPLE USE THAT I DIDN'T NEED:
  • Stroller toy bar: I heard great things about these but our stroller didn't have a bar to attach it to, so never really got used.

  • Wipes warmer: Apparently these are really useful if you use paper towel or scraps of cloth for wipes.

  • Mattress pad for crib mattress: Don't remember why I ever bought this. Just another thing to wash when the levees break.

  • Bath seat: meant to buy one when Mela got big enough to sit in the tub but never got around to it and things have been fine.

  • Car sun shade: Do other people use these? Just found ours in Mela's closet and am thinking it might help Nate this summer.

  • Products: Never used baby powder (midwives hate it) or cotton balls or q-tips (not clear what I was ever supposed to use these for??).

  • Burp cloths: My babies didn't spit up. I am grateful for this.

THINGS I NEED THAT HAVEN'T BEEN INVENTED:
  • Clothes chart: I need someone to invent a sliding scale that you can mark to show your child's size at any given time. They grow so fast and I can never tell whether an article of clothing fits or not. When I'm putting clothes away, I'd love to be able to hold them up to a chart marked with their current size. Would work well for shoe size, too.

  • Bed protector cloths: For co-sleeping families, you need a small blanket that is waterproof on one side but breathable, to lay under the baby at night so they don't wet your sheets.
There's about a million other things I think of every day but don't come to mind right now ...

***

Sleeping Notes:

You'll need somewhere for baby to sleep, short term and long term.

Short term, I prefer something in your own room, since you’re going to be getting up all the freaking time during the night and don’t want to have to make an endless walk down a hallway.

A bassinet works great (especially for naps during the day) and even better is a co-sleeper, although they're a little hard to find used and a little expensive new.

Personally, we kept both kids in bed with us and it worked great. I would especially recommend learning how to “nap nurse” (feed the baby lying down) or pack a cooler bag with bottles, since that way you don’t even have to get out of bed for feeding time.

I found nap-nursing really painful at first but once the baby gets a little better at latching, we both barely woke up for a feed. Which, when you have a toddler to take care of all day, is crucial.

Long term (i.e. after the first couple months), most people go crib, some people stick with co-sleeper, some people keep the baby in their bed. With Mela, we went from bassinet beside the bed to crib in her own room at about five months.

I was initially going to keep the crib in our room and then move it out later on but my mom pointed out that she would be much more flexible about changes to her environment at five months than at nine months or a year. Good point.

With Nathan, the transition to crib has been awesome and he now clearly sleeps better in his own room.

Comments

KitchenCathi said…
I pretty much agree with all this. I was told wipes warmers were unnecessary and useless, and never saw the need for one.

Baby Mobile – Didn’t have one, didn’t feel like baby missed out on anything. As far as other ‘crib toys’, there’s one busy box. Because I’m such a light sleeper, I hear her the instant she wakes up, and I’m not going to fall back asleep if she’s awake, so what’s the point?

Baby Monitor – Love it. I use it mostly in the evenings now, when I’ve put her down, so I can make sure she’s settling ok. But I also keep the one in her room on at all times, so that when I wake up in the middle of the night with paranoid thoughts (especially when she’s sick and having problems breathing), I can switch on the one in my room for just a second and reassure myself. I think a video monitor would’ve just made me more nervous (can see all the crazy positions they get themselves into).

Mattress Pad – I bought one and haven’t had to wash it that much. I want her mattress to last a while, and didn’t like the idea of it being soaked with pee.

Stroller – It’s nice to have a big, four-wheeling, huge-basketed comfortable Graco, but there’s also something to be said for a light, small, fits-into-tight-spaces-easily version. Hence I have two.

Burp Cloths – I cut up some receiving blankets that were ugly and a few old flannel pillow cases and was all set. Used them a LOT.

High Chair – Just got one with toy attachments and it’s BRILLIANT, since I always end up putting toys on the tray anyhow. Love the FP Ocean Wonders stuff. Wheels are a must. Multiple positions (up/down) are a must. I’ve NEVER used the different recline options.

Baby Carrier – I was totally surprised by how seldom I used a sling/carrier. Granted, my baby is HEAVY. But she’s also content most of the time in a stroller or playing on the floor.

Products – If Baby has sensitive skin, avoid the J&J. My pediatrician said it was awful. I use Aveeno on her face, and LOVE the Huggies brand all-in-one. I currently have a total crush on the new Baby J&J Bubble Bath, I used a whole bottle in two weeks. I’m going to buy a case.

Car Sun Shades - I ended up trying a few varieties and liked the ones you can cut to fit your windows (my back windows aren't perfect squares). They help a bit.

I do occasionally use evil baby powder, because I live in the South and baby gets sweaty and has a zillion rolls. I make sure I'm not shaking it all over the place and she's not inhaling it.

Popular Posts