Who exactly is growing here?

On his birthday, Nathan gave me a present.

Every night when I tuck him in, I ask who loves him. "Mama do," he dutifully replies and I whisper that I do love him so much.

Tonight in return, he actually said, "Love you." Which he has never said before (especially unbidden). Of course, it touched me.

And then he added, "Love daddy." too which was nice!

I always think that I'm not going to be another sentimental mom on my children's birthdays but then the day arrives and I look at them and think, "Where did you come from? Where's the baby?? How could two years have possibly gone by that quickly?!"

And I'm that typical mom crying over baby shoes.

As I was rocking big boy (still my baby) Nate in the dark tonight, I marveled at the difference between the aging of the first versus the second.

With the first, she was the sun from the moment she was born, causing tears in my eyes from her brightness. As she's grown, I've struggled sometimes to hold on to that feeling as the defiant two year old started her campaign of resistance.

A little hard to remember the overwhelming elation when your kid is throwing a full-blown fit.

With the second, though, he was the pale moon in the demanding day of a toddler. Not exactly ignored given his rage issues but definitely less engaging (babies = lumps). It seems that over time though, as I've gotten to know him, my love has slowly grown to the point now where I'm surprised at how deep it is and what a joy it is to get to know him as he changes.

Funny that I didn't know it could happen like that.

Happy birthday, my boy. Mama does love you so much.

Say click:

Cleaning out the kitchen cupboard: no more babies in this house Birthday treats: Mela tells Nate, "Come to bed right now!" Playing with Bopa: Lounging: Handstand! Mr. Hazel Eyes / Needs a Haircut: One year ago:
In the beginning ...


Comments

Mlle. said…
The picture of dad playing with Nate looks like SUCH FUN! I want to be either one of them in that picture. The little/big/bigger Nate pictures are hypnotic.

Popular Posts