Weekend? Was it? I can't tell anymore ...

Not a bad weekend but very, very sleepy.

For the past couple days, we've been focussed on battling the forest fire that is a sick Nathan. He's been mostly of good cheer but when he's not, the whole neighbourhood knows. As nanny-Mary says, when Nathan's having a bad day, everyone is having a bad day.

He's not that sick, really, mostly just not eating or sleeping well, with the later affecting us more (the not-eating just makes him seem more like our firstborn and less like a gas-guzzling SUV).

The main problem is that we're sharing a room with him here and he's been waking up and wailing (W&W, not as fun as R&R) every couple hours each night. Which turns out to be quite a few times and quite a bit debilitating, especially if you're fighting a mild case of the Andrew-Woods-Experience yourself.

I've started dreaming of separate rooms and robot soothers that reinsert themselves.

And so another week begins ....

I'm starting to lose track of days here lately. Without the regular markers, without my normal routine, I'm starting to drift at sea. Mom-in-law and I had an earnest conversation recently about which day of the week it was.

That's always a bad sign.

We've looked at some houses lately but nothing in the area we want or spectacular enough to change our minds about the area we want. Mela is cutely serious in her non-understanding of the situation. She gets it that we go to look at houses and that we need a new home but is perplexed by how the whole thing will actually happen.

So am I, kiddo, so am I.

In other news, the homesickness has been pretty much kept to a dull roar, thanks to kids who make it hard to wallow for long.

Whenever something threatens to trip you up and spill you over (wait, this corn-on-the-cob we're eating is from my province? my home, maybe my neck of the woods, maybe even from near the farm where I grew up and we used to have late-summer corn roasts and which I'm never going to see again because I'm going to die here covered in rain ...), a toddler demands "MORE MILK!" and the baby starts experimenting with the laws of physics and hamburger meat and just like that, you're snapped out of the melancholy and hit with a chunk of coleslaw.

My younger sister asked recently if I still struggled with Big Picture thoughts and ideas and I replied that I simply don't have the time anymore.

Sometimes that's for the best, really. Especially when you're a little short on sleep.

-----------
Say click:

I came downstairs the other day and Mela was sitting on the couch, eating an apple and apparently thumbing through a magazine. I asked her what she was doing and she was like, duh, "Reading magazine, Mama. Looking new house." Thank you, sweetie. Tell me if you find one in Brain, Child.
Pretty girl:
Nathan has developed a new smile (wrinkle the nose, open the mouth!), which he uses to great advantage. Hard to think of where he gets the big mouth from ...
Lake Banook, which I suspect/am told will play a big part in our lives in the years to come. It's big, it's in the middle of the city and has a beach. Awesome.
The sick kid still delights in walking and his new cuddly puppy:
Average day: Start with lots of jumping:
Pause for some belly scratching ...
Move on to outdoor play...Mela looks alarmed in this photo because, unbeknownst to the distracted photographer, Nate is actually drinking the dirty play water. So much for the "pretend" tea party.
And then there were grapes ...
The setting sun reflected in the eyes of the siblings. Funny how you can actually see things like sunsets without a lot of tall buildings around.
I swear, she grows overnight:
So does the little gorilla, who was walking around thumping his bare chest. I have yet to notice any effect of the illness on his waistline:
This shot is for Duane, who asked if Nathan is ever not smiling. Oh yes, my friend, oh yes ... when that happens, though, we're too busy ducking for cover to ever take a pic ...

Comments

Popular Posts