All say hail the birthday girl .,..

Mela turns three this week and today was her party.

She woke up to a house full of balloons and streamers and banners and stacks of presents and said, "Wowy Zowy!"

We had a big party. She got presents that she loves (new plush kitties!) and ate chocolate muffins and jello sailboats and blue whale birthday cake until she was stuffed and all the kids hit each other with balloons and it was good.

Nate (who's been really tired lately) went down for a nap right when things were getting underway and slept through the whole thing. Maybe for the best?

Mela almost cried during "Happy Birthday" (it's a LOT of attention!) but she managed to keep it together and take care of the candles (no Nuala to help this time!). Then later, when her balloon floated away, she sobbed mightily (unavoidable childhood moment) but then it landed in a neighbour's yard and uncle Jimmy saved the day!

Great fun was had by all.

Some would argue (successfully) that I take parties too far. That I get too stressed and make too big a deal. That at this time, with guests visiting, the kids thrown off their schedules and my useless immune system, we should just have a low-key day at home.

I don't do low-key birthdays.

This is how I show my love and celebrate my daughter's life.

And it's all worth it at the end of the day when I'm lying in bed with my sleepy kid.

I whispered, "I love you, Mela." She yawned deeply and said ...

"Yeah. I know it."

Happy three, kiddo.


Say (birthday!) click:

Sleepy kid attacks the presents (of course, the new kitty is already out and has met the others):
Grocery time with the new shopping cart and products: Break for a yummy (wooden) sandwich: The new bike from Grammie and Grandad! Last minute prep:
We love new books! New umbrellas! Chocolate muffin break ...
Balloon mania hits! Picture taking and chatting (remember Baby Owen on the inside?):
Glimpses of the party girl: Cake time! Dad steps in for a little girl who finds all the attention just a bit overwhelming: The big moment: Phew! Glad that's over! Watch out for rock theives! Delicious! Happy customer: Some impromtu ballet: The kids move outside and practice climbing: The grandma's observe: The view:
Something's missing here ... The man returns: All kids knows that lacing strings are for much more than just lacing. Mela invents a totally new use: With balloons, the party never needs to end! Dad takes some hits:
Happiness is ... a birthday girl:

Comments

KitchenCathi said…
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.

Glad it was a fun, happy day for all. I believe some of those same balloons will be making an appearance at my party as well. Love the theme - JR's is going to be 'Fun in the Sun'. A little sad that we live so far apart and are so busy that I didn't even know your theme til I saw the cake. Must call.
Rector Funhouse said…
Can't wait to see "Fun in the Sun"!

Our theme was "Delegate and Survive". Mela wanted a blue cake (with a whale!) but you can't get blue flowers so they were pink and yellow and the banner was leftover from last year and Lisa brought the balloons.

And we forgot party hats, which Mela reminded me of today.

But I doubt that one person noticed the mismatchy style. The table was groaning with food and that's what counts!
Aaralynn's Mom said…
Happy Birthday Mela! Great job on the party Nancy. I am a true believer of Big Birthday Parties. You only turn that age once.
Mlle. said…
Gorgeous! Love Mela's dress and Nathan is sooooooo good looking.

Popular Posts