Sometimes a coffee is more than just a coffee


There is a short list of things that I love.

I didn't always know what I liked. I was so consumed by other personalities that I had no idea of my own style or tastes. Then one day I was standing in the grocery store, in the baking aisle, and realized that I loved chocolate pudding.

Not because my older sister did or because my boyfriend did or because it was cool. I just loved it.

Here are some examples:
  • Chocolate pudding
  • Coffee (specifically Starbucks. Yes, I used to work for 2nd Cup and am a traitor. I just can't resist the lure of the dark roast!)
  • Dark cherry jam
  • Office supplies (pens, paper, markers, fancy file folders, you name it)
  • CBC Radio 2 Drive (recent quote: "Do Michael Buble's friends call him "Boobs"? 'Cause I do." -Rich Terfry)
  • Sunshine and warm spring weather
  • Time alone
Imagine if you will then, this weekend when I was at the Starbucks drive-through and discovered that they have a new drink: the Dark Cherry Mocha (espresso, bittersweet chocolate sauce, dark cherry syrup, and steamed milk).

I ordered one (half-sweet of course) and drove home from Staples (office supplies!) with the window down and the warm spring sun shining down, listening to R2 and sipping heaven. All of my favourite things colliding in one amazing moment.

I think it was a sign.

I was out of the house because I'm going to be going back to work. I'm embarking on a new venture, one that was never my dream but that offers the things that are really important: flexibility, time with my kids, creativity, independence. It probably won't actually pay me anything but we'll live.

And best of all, after a long winter of discontent, I'm out of the house and using my brain for something other than housework.

It feels good.

Comments

KitchenCathi said…
The business, or something else?

Mary made me try the Starbucks Cherry thing and it IS delicious.
Anonymous said…
this is so great, nanc. I'm glad you're getting out and about and getting some YOU time : )

allison
Anonymous said…
YAYE for you!
Congrats on the new job :)
A little ME time...well deserved!

Kat

Popular Posts