Penultimate Challenge

Today was my first official day of "vacation" but it wasn't actually that relaxing. Turns out that being home with a one year old doesn't let you read, sleep and rest as much as you might like. Add in some laundry and cooking, and the day's over (and you're exhausted) before you know it.

We did make it to the splash pool though and had some good times. Oh, and we went to the midwives, where we learned that the baby will probably come sometime in the next couple weeks. Very helpful.

Speaking of Baby Boy, the little bugger continues to get bigger (will he break Mela's 9 lbs??) and definitely stronger - when he pushes out his foot, my entire stomach distorts around the little lump. And the last couple days, my skin has stretched so tight, it burns. Can't wait to see what the stretch marks look like after this round of pregnancy, although I've been pretty lucky so far.

I think I actually forgot how uncomfortable the home stretch is. In my memory, I couldn't walk further than the local Starbucks (and some days, not even there) last time because I let myself get out of shape.

Turns out that walking at this stage is a supreme discomfort because you've got a huge belly that causes sharp, stabbing pains in your back and tight aching in your hips with every step. How could I forget?!

Throw in some random Braxton-Hicks (they like to flare up when I walk) and it's enough to make you want to stay permanently in bed (especially since you're not getting any sleeping there at night). Sounds good to me but I don't think Mela would accept bed rest.

And this, as my friend Ally pointed out, isn't even the hardest part! There's always labour to look forward to as the ultimate challenge. So the anticipation of that is just another fun factor.

The question is: is it better to be nine months pregnant (lots of physical discomfort and some exhaustion) or have a newborn (some physical discomfort and lots of exhaustion)???

Here are some pics:

Missing her grand-nanny, quiet Mela reads a book:
A grumpy girl goes shopping:
Sitting on the box (harder than it looks!):
Is this my child or a cute street urchin (such a good girl about sitting down for her snack!)
Such a big girl - she goes down the steps on her own now!
At the water park:
Turns out that sitting still for a snack gets harder once you discover the joys of "rolling"
Is this the cutest kid ever (but what happened to my little baby)???

Comments

Popular Posts