Hoorah for Grand-Nanny!!!

I'm happy to report that the first week went well with the new "nanny"!

Leaving in the morning the first day was harder than it would've been a month ago (day care trauma seems the obvious cause) - she started crying as soon as I put on my shoes, which she never used to do. Actually, she started fussing every time I left the room (e.g. going downstairs to iron my shirt) but didn't really get upset until I picked up my purse and headed to the door.

(Speaking of trauma, she's been waking up the past few mornings at 5 am and just laying in bed, quietly crying off and on. She's never done this before and I can't seem to find any concrete cause ... is it just me or is this another effect from the day care anxiety? If so - how sad!)

Apparently, she stood at the door and cried for a while after I left (~7 mins) but the tricky grand-nanny just sat on the couch and started reading books. When my mom asked certain questions aloud (e.g. "Where are the blueberries? Where is the lamb?"), my little know-it-all couldn't resist and would come teetering around the corner with her finger outstretched, just dying to point out the object in question ("Oh! Oh! I know this one!!").

After that, she'd race back to the door to lament her motherless-fate but in no time, would get caught again by the overwhelming temptation to demonstrate her vast language knowledge ("Oh! Clock! I can point to a clock!") and would stomp back in, pointer at the ready.

Before long, she was snuggled on the couch with my mom, reading every book she owns in quiet contentment.

From this, we learn:

1) Mela loves books.
2) Grand-nannies rock.
3) I can actually stop worrying about my child while I'm at work.

The only problem here is that Chris and I are going to become ridiculously spoiled and when Sutton arrives (and the grand-nanny leaves), we'll get a huge slap in the face from reality. I'm just going to ignore that rapidly approaching event (6 weeks left until the due date!!!) and enjoy the way things are right now.

And I might actually get something done at work!

Comments

Popular Posts