SAHM Musings

As a stay-at-home-mom (or SAHM as apparently we're called), you have a lot of time to think. No time for emailing friends or combing my hair but lots of time to think.

Today I'm thinking about how hard we have it. As in, is it actually that hard?

Someone said to me today (upon learning the ages of my babies): "Oh, it must be so hard for you." It made me stop and think, how do you compare?

My dear friend Jenny just had a baby. When we first had Amelia, we thought it was the hardest thing we'd ever done. Everything is new and breastfeeding can be RIDICULOUSLY tough. And sometimes the baby just won't.stop.crying.

I'm sure Jenny is finding it hard.

This time around, we have a much better idea of what we're doing. Except now we have to try to deal with a toddler and a newborn at the same time. And I've never had a toddler before. Sometimes I have no idea how to do things (e.g. discipline a toddler, get them to eat nutritiously, get them to come downstairs when you have a baby in your arms). And sometimes the baby just won't.stop.crying.

I definitely find it hard.

But is one harder than the other? And what about my friend Amanda who has twins? Or my music class friend who has a toddler Mela's age and just found out she's having twins? Or the girl on my street whose baby has Downs?

As my mom once said, there is no winner here. It's just a question of who's the biggest loser.

But in answer to my friend Katherine's recent question: there's no doubt, it is worth it. It is infinitely worth it. No matter how hard it gets, it's always worth it.

I've cried several times the past few days and most of the time, it's been from joy.

How can you not cry, when you're spinning around around the kitchen with Mela in your arms, singing "True Blue" at the top of your lungs and watching her eyes shine.

Or when you nuzzle close to Nathan at night, after he's finally fallen into a deep, wheezing sleep, and you feel his soft, warm downy hair brush against your lips and you smell his milky, sweet breath?

Oh yeah, it's worth it.

The hardest part of my day right now, really, is to absorb each moment so thoroughly that the memory of this time will last forever and I can never say that I wish I'd hugged/kissed/loved them more.

p.s. Went to Halloween event today at the drop-in - hilarious, fun and slightly stressful. Can't wait to post pics of Mela's awesome costume!


Handsome devil:
Play time! (about 5 minutes per day) Mela loves little chairs:
He's cute when he's sleeping:
Endless rocking finally gets results:
Hey Mela, do you mind taking care of that crying baby for me? Thanks.
Mela rediscovers baby food (delicious, apparently) but doesn't want her picture taken while such a mess:
Amanda with a lap full of babies (her twins and a fussy Nathan):
Mela in her modeling deput (for a friend's apron company):

Comments

Popular Posts