Three Month Milestone!

So busy here, can barely breath.

Did some good socializing last week (to Melanie's and then to Guelph with a backseat of babies to meet baby Jackson!).

It was stressful (at one point, vowed to never enter a car with baby Nathan again until he's at least 5 years old) but my new mantra is, "The only thing worse than going out is staying home."

And visiting other mom's helps remind me that babies are awesome and my toddler isn't the only one who acts insane sometimes.

In baby news, things change daily.

Nathan turned 3 months last Tuesday (HOORAY!) and seemed to get the memo on Thursday, when he slept all evening like a peaceful lamb. He repeated the trick Friday, which of course started to get our hopes up re: a normal life but then smashed them cruelly on Saturday and Sunday, when he did his usual Mr. F. Pants routine.

I really do feel bad for him, now that I know that he really wants to be sleeping from 6 pm 'til 12. And it seems like he keeps being woken up by some internal distress, which breaks my heart.

But after 5 minutes of a baby screaming in your face, the sympathy has a way of evaporating.

So I spend my precious free time agonizing over what to cut out of my diet (which I'm never fully successful at - especially on days when friends send little squares of chocolate!), as well as how to handle a picky eater (Mela is systematically eliminating all foods from her diet - we're now down to peas, tropical fruits, tofu, avocado, rice and bread. I'm not kidding), and sleep-training a breastfed baby.

Maybe I worry too much.

But the good news is that we did a bit of Nathan sleep training today and after about 5 tries, he finally stayed asleep on his own, in a bed (i.e. without motion or a finger/boob in his mouth).

This is progress.

To my friends who are about to or just had new babies, this is something I didn't know about before. Turns out, you have to train your babies to sleep "properly" (i.e. not tied to your chest with a breast in their mouth all day). And if you wait too long, you miss the window and it's a world of pain.

And then after months of good sleeping, they start teething and the whole thing gets disrupted. And this goes on for about a year. I don't know what Mela's problem is lately but she's nearly hysterical at bedtime. Thank god we have two parents on deck so we can each deal with a screaming child.

Anyway, let's hope that things continue to slowly but surely get better for BaNa. He is soooo cute these days - having long "conversations" with us, laughing out loud at our antics, watching Mela like a hawk (self-preservation?), snuggling close at night and giving away free smiles to anyone who cares to ask.

They call three months the beginning of the "golden age of babydom."

I can't wait!

I haven't posted in a while, so have a million photos to share:

Nathan fell asleep in the stroller on the way back from the drop-in centre last week. WOW!
Nathan loves the bumbo (is it just me or does he look adorably jock-ish sometimes??)
I was trying to take a pic of Mela for grandma but it was hard to get her to stand still. Did I mention she has a new cheesy "camera" smile?

Mela decides to reclaim the Bumbo:
Did I mention her new cheesy smile?
Shirtless monkey:
All dressed up and ready to go! Dora babysits while I do last minute stuff:
I love that this onesie is Ralph Lauren. And that Nathan looks like he's going to work.
Mela puts her finger in crying baby Nathan's mouth. Gee, I wonder where she learned that:
When we got back from Mel's, both babies were sleeping. In my glee, I took these pics and then ran in the house and grabbed a book. Read exactly 3 pages before Nathan woke up. It was great while it lasted.
After just talking to a friend about the perils of stomach sleeping, woke up this weekend to fidn Nathan asleep on his stomach. So of course, I took a couple pics (he was SO cute!) before rolling him back to his side.
Help, help, winter's here!
Mama Hearn at 31 weeks!
And we wonder why Mela is intimidated by Nuala ...
Calm Nathan with the Dad:
It's not my fault she discovered one of her Christmas presents in the basement! And then I had to give it to her, since she'll be getting a bunch on Christmas morning anyway ...
Today, Nathan discovered his hair. It's the cutest thing - he keeps reaching up and touching the top of his head, as if to say, "Hey! What's all this fuzzy stuff up here?!"

Comments

KitchenCathi said…
Love the cheesy smile.

Love the airplane glee.

LOVE the 'found my hair!', I don't think Jenny ever did that. She did just recently find her toes, though, which is a.)miraculous, due to thigh size and b.)freaking cute.

Popular Posts