It's free and plentiful but a little cold ...

For once in my life, I was actually prepared.

It snowed last night. Like, really, really snowed. It went from greenish grass to actual inches of snow.

Which is pretty magical for a kid to wake up to.

It can be really surprising to see your kids react to things sometimes. Mela hated snow the last two winters (cold wet stuff blowing in her face, what's to like??). But today she could hardly eat breakfast from excitement.

We've been mentioning the fact that it was "fall time" and that "snow time" would be coming soon ... just didn't know it would be arriving today!

And I was actually prepared. Just by fluke, I bought them boots yesterday and even grabbed some mittens. So after oatmeal, we spent 20 minutes bundling up (no joke) and went outside.

It was funny to see Nate, who has just recently learned to walk across a flat surface, try to navigate the snow. He lasted for a little while but the falling part (and the icy wind) got old pretty fast.

The real surprise, though, was Mela. Here I was expecting another long, cold, lonely winter being stuck inside again but my little two year old slid around exclaiming her love for the snow ("I love snow, Mama! I know it!") and having a great time. We built a snowman, threw snowballs and even drank some snow tea. Actually snow coffee, since Mela knows me so well.

Anyway, it seemed to occupy her well. Which is really going to come in handy.

Here are some pics, for the family who are headed south, and the family who live in the south and just getting out their fall gear now:

Say click:
Excited to be out of the house!
Lots of falling down (and trouble getting up):
Exploring footprints:

Comments

KitchenCathi said…
That's insane. I was hot in a sweatshirt today and wished I'd worn a short-sleeved t-shirt. Although, I am TOTALLY prepared if there is a freak cold snap, and I keep over-dressing Jelly for daycare. How exciting that Mela is snow-friendly this year!

Popular Posts