And so we say, Hooray for guests!

Have been having a wonderful visit with family!

First Aunt Cathi and cousin Jenny arrived from the sunny south for a fun-filled weekend of sledding, hot chocolate and poking fat Nate ... only to discover that we actually have less snow here.

So we mostly just stayed inside and watched the monkeys fight over the Diego.

It was great.

And now my parents have been here all week. The good news is that it's awesome. Fun people to hang out with all day who like your kids as much as you do, cook awesome meals and do handy little things around the house - what's not to like?!

It's so awesome to have backup for the kids. Like when you need to put one wailing kid to bed and the other one comes out of their room with their pants full of poop. Awesome.

It's been especially good since Nathan has morphed into a three-headed demon the past few days and has decided that crying is the new talking and sleep is for chumps who already have all their teeth.

Seriously, I've always said I was going to move out when he started on the molars. I thought I had a few more months to pack my bag, since he's still working on the front ones. In true Nate style, though, he's punked us all and moved straight to the pain - I looked in his mouth yesterday and saw white dots poking through at the back.

I was so stricken, I actually tried to wipe it away, in the hope it was leftover food. It wasn't and by the way, teeth are sharp.

And a toddler awake from 4 - 6 am is even sharper.

I actually went out and bought an air mattress today. Because if I learned anything from kid #1, it's that sleeping on the hard floor beside a crib just ain't fun.

Anyway, hooray for guests who get up with your kids and let you run out to Starbucks, I mean the hardware store, so you don't actually murder your children.

The bad news is, they're going to leave. This weekend. And I'm going to be alone with "them" again.

With one kid dropping her nap and still potty "learning" and another one getting molars (MOLARS!), I've decided you need at least a one-adult-per-child ratio and preferably 3 to 2. One person per kid and a spare to do the other million things that need to get done in a day.

It takes a village to raise a child. Or just survive them.

*****
During their stay, Grandpa has taught Mela some cool new tricks. Like (in front of a room full of people):

Papa: Hey Mela, what did we decide about Barney?

Mela: Barney's gay!

(I have to admit, I laughed.)

Me: Mela, that's not funny.

Mela: (sincerely) It IS funny, Mama!

(And I laughed again.)

******************

Say click:

Hardly took any photos 'cause we were too busy laughing. Have some from C but no time to post. Here's the few I got:

Cathi and Mary have a great talk on the phone.
The toddlers do a good job of not eating out of each others bowls. Children = they're basically like dogs but with more screaming at night.
Aunt Cathi strikes paydirt with the combination ballet costume + swim suit. Genius! A little cold to wear out of the house, though.
Jenny gets ready for the cruise ...
The southern girls pose:
The cousins ready for a stroll:

Comments

Popular Posts