Like a rocket ship!

Mela's changing.

She can pretend things now. Today she put on Chris's belt and announced she was "Daddy" and was going to work. It's the first time she's done something like that. She gave me a kiss (still calling me Mama but with a low voice) and marched out the bedroom door.

She then "came home," put on slippers and said she had to go to hockey.

Hilarious.

She's also into catch phrases right now. As in, "like a rocket ship." For example:
Mela: I gave Nate his teddy 'cause he was soo grumpy.

Me: Great idea -he's not crying now!


Mela: Yeah! Nate not crying!


Me: That's right. You're such a great sister.


Mela: Yeah, I'm a good sister. Like a rocket ship!

In Nate news, he's learned to kiss (finally!) and is currently into saying, "Oh dear!" He sounds like a granny. Is this a new sensitive side?? His kisses still leave a lot to be desired (it's basically just an open mouth pressed on yours) and the grumpiness is in full effect these days (nap issues) but it's progress.

Speaking of naps, I'm still in full denial that Mela is dropping her nap. It's been four days straight without one but I can't accept it. It's just totally unacceptable, mostly because of the Mr. Hyde transformation that takes place at around 4 pm.

Luckily, I'm a genius.

A long time ago (when I found out I was pregnant with Nate and still thought having just one kid was hard), I asked a friend for advice on coping with two. She recommended having a teenager come in and babysit for a few hours a week so you can run errands, do chores or even just cook supper.

Almost two years later, I finally got the chance to take her advice. I now have a girl from our neighbourhood come in twice a week from 4-5 pm and play with the kids. Sounds simple but makes all the difference!

For example, had a nice day with the chickens today but by 4pm I was ready to lose it (a non-napping two year old continuously screaming over toys with a greedy, clingy one year old and a pork tenderloin that wasn't going to cook itself).

Then this girl came in, they all went to the basement and played quietly and I cooked a nice meal (and might have drunk some wine).

By the time she left, I had dinner on the table, a (mostly) clean kitchen and a much nicer outlook.

All this for $8!

Between Grammie, cheap babysitters and good (espresso-making) friends, we just might make it through.


Say Click:

We just bought a "temporary" table for our kitchen (supposed to just last until we rip some walls down) and we love it! Having an eat-in kitchen in awesome, especially when you can reach the counter from your seat. It's working so well, I'm actually rethinking the whole reno now.

What's better in the winter than sitting in the sun?

So the only pics I've taken lately are sitting at the new table ...

No pictures, Mama!
Sleepy breakfast:

"Oh dear ..."
The ham changes her mind ...

Comments

KitchenCathi said…
How cute is her hair?! She has changed so much. Thank god I'll see her IN A WEEK.

Popular Posts