For Mary, Part 2

'Cause when you miss someone, it's easy to only remember the good things (excited chatter, neck kisses, lap cuddles) and harder to remember that there are tough parts, too.

Nathan's good at reminding you of the tough parts. I swear, do other kids cry like this or am I just a huge wimp??

I'm not sure I want to know the answer to that.

Here's an example of one of Nate's "sad dinners." It's when he's (1) tired and (2) hungry but it's too early to put him to bed and he refuses to eat. The trick is, he also loses it if you try to get him down from the table.

This continued off and on for a ridiculous amount of time. Hope it helps, Mary!



Post script: Just finished reading a great article about being mad at your kids.

It totally captures what I've been faced with lately: we're the first generation that's trying not to use the clearly ineffective discipline of corporal punishment but we're struggling for appropriate outlets for the anger and frustration that being a parent brings.

The author says, "The mores are much stricter today — and probably rightfully so — but we also don't know what we are supposed to do with our anger." and "changing norms can't alter base human emotions." I say "amen, sister."

The only problem is, she accurately identifies the problem but doesn't really offer any concrete help. *sigh*

Comments

Angela said…
Have been dealing with anger for the last month, and it frustrating for me that I did NOT experience that emotion in the first year. R woke up 4 times in 3 hours between midnight and 3 am last night, and by the last time I was angry with him. I wouldnt have been angry if my 'baby' waking up -- I would have rushed in. And there I was really, really angry that he wouldn't calm down, almost yelling at him to calm down (not a great example). Felt pretty horrible that I had both felt that way and expressed how I felt to him. Generally feeling like a failing parent when it comes to this, but keep telling myself to learn from each and every time and try to do better the next day ...
Rector Funhouse said…
I hear you, Angela. There are some days when the two year old feels much harder than the newborn/baby and I definitely didn't expect that.

Part of the problem, like you say, is expectation. You expect that baby to be helpless and needy (and cute!) but the toddler knows better and that can be a killer.

I've been trying to look at it like nature's way of forcing me to be stricter and set tougher limits. I just read another interesting thing about how some 3 year olds are just as bad as 2 year old now because a lot of parents have put off hard discipline. (http://www.childrenshospital.org/dream/dream_fall07/3_is_the_new_2.html)

If only I could figure out a way to be tough without being angry or making my child act even worse out of retaliation.
KitchenCathi said…
2 year olds are WAY harder than babies. Absolutely. I have spent three weeks telling JR 857 times/day not to throw her toys when she's mad and frustrated, and I threw Rescue Pack last night in anger and frustration (not AT her, in my defense).

I couldn't focus on poor Nate because I was so exhausted for you, and wondering if that was boogers on your sleeve. Because I have the same tell-tale streak on my pants today.

We will have a good laugh about this while we're drinking and they're crying and throwing things together tomorrow. TOMORROW.

Popular Posts