Hooray for language

Now that Nathan is at least partially verbal (enough to tell me NO! all the time, anyway) and Mela is speaking in long sentences (sometimes mostly gibberish but still), my two children are finally starting to really interact.

Mela actually spoke to Nate directly this week. I think she forgot her disdain for him temporarily in her excitement over going poop in the potty.

Nate, for his part, tried to answer back but really couldn't get out more than a string of gibberish in his excitement that his hero had actually addressed him directly.

It's not exactly an intellectual feast, though.

For example, here is a riveting conversation that took place twice today:

Nate: Dada. Shoes.

Mela: Those are Daddy's slippers, Nate. They aren't his shoes.

Nate: Dada. Shoes.

Mela: Those are Daddy's slippers, Nate.

Nate: Shoes. Dada. Shoes.

Mela: Those are Daddy's slippers, Nate.

Nate: Shoes! Shoes! Dada!

(repeat exactly like this for at least 15 minutes)

It may not be much, but it is the start to a lifetime of conversations ...

***
Mela just came up and told me a story. She said, 'Mama! I had a hiccup! It was stuck in my belly, so I yupped it up and it came out my big mouth!"

This is a window into the world of a two (almost three!) year old.

***
Nathan's talking has even improved from the time I started writing this (last week) until now. For example, he can now say, "I do!" Usually it's in answer to inquiries regarding the consumption of food but it counts.

Most of what he parrots comes from being around his big sister. For example, when he does something advanced, he grins and mutters something about being a "big girl."

And when he wants to do what you've suggested, he very sweetly says, "Okay, Mama!"

This is from being exposed to hours of my trying to drill this concept into Mela (e.g. when it's time to go inside or leave a fun place).

When he says it, it's adorable although I think he's missed the fundamental concept that you're also supposed to say it when you don't want to leave and not just wail and beat the Mama with your hard little fists.

***
The amazing thing about language development in your kids is that you're amazed by it.

If you were to ask a sane, non-kid person, they'd probably mock you and say, "What did you think was going to happen??"

But just the idea that what started out as a such a tiny, delicate (wait, was Nate ever delicate?), ball of fuzzy hair and soft skin that popped out of your body can actually change SO much and do so much and crawl! and walk! and actually tell you what they're feeling inside! It boggles the mind.

And that's why you get parents who lose their mind when their baby says, "Baa baa black sheep!"

You mock it now but this too shall be you.

***
At bedtime the other night, I stuffed him full of stories and then rocked him in the dusk, marveling at the difference it makes to finally feel like your child can understand your words.

After all those days and nights just ceaselessly giving to a black hole of needs, you can finally explain to this person how deeply you feel.

For a long time, I whispered in his ear, telling him how special he is, how wonderful it is to have him in my life (when he's not teething) and basically, just how much I love him.

At the end of it all, I told him again that I loved him and then foolishly asked if he loved me.

He looked deep into my eyes, and sensing an answer was expected, said ...

"Digger truck book?"

Say click:

Mr. Independent walks in with both shoes and a hat that he's put on himself. Think he's proud?!

Comments

Popular Posts