Mr & Mrs Snow

Well, Mike and Jill are now married! We went to Halifax for five days and had a wonderful, busy time participating in all the festivities surrounding their nuptials.

Things I learned this trip about Amelia:
  1. She needs sleep. And she now needs time set aside for that sleep every day. Up until now, she would just fall asleep whenever she was tired (e.g. at parties, on the plane, while we were shopping, etc). Now she's at the point where interesting things going on distract her so she doesn't sleep but then gets overtired (and cranky) later on. So from now on, we need to stop whatever we're doing a couple times a day (even if it's playing with her) and make sure that she gets what she needs to be happy.

  2. She hates the saxophone. Seriously. Every time it started to play during the wedding ceremony, her bottom lip would quiver, her eyes would fill with tears and she would start to sob. I finally had to take her into another room during the signing of the registry and wait until the sax stopped! I guess she just couldn't handle its mournful tune.

  3. She hates the sound of 250 people clapping and cheering. Whenever it happened, she would startle, throw her arms into the air, as if she was falling, and look around wildly. I had to clutch her to me whenever there was thunderous applause. Which I guess makes sense, if all you're used to is a quiet living room.

  4. She loves her mom. Sometime at the expense of others. I didn't think that she was old enough yet for real preference but Chris and the grandparents babysat her Wednesday night and she wouldn't stop crying until I came home. Which made me feel bad for them but great that she knows who I am and misses me when I'm not there.

  5. Sometimes, you just have to let babies cry. Given that she just proved that she sometimes has trouble settling down with other people (especially when over-tired), I was worried about leaving her alone with the in-laws Saturday night for the wedding. It seemed cruel to let her cry for (potentially) hours so that I could drink and party with friends. But her grandparents are more than capable baby sitters and, in the long run, one night of crying will not permanently scar her, right?

    As a parent, I found myself trying to figure out what to do by asking what was really best for Amelia. And in the end, I don't think that always staying by her side is best. I think that if she is in the good, safe hands of people who love her, then Chris and I having the odd night out is not a bad thing, even if she does cry. She does need to get used to being around others and it really does wonders for us to have that time together (which makes us happier parents in the long run). And Mike and Jill only get married once! So sometimes, the thing that seems painful in the short term really may be best in the long run.

    So we spent the reception together (with Grammie and Grandad taking turns so that I could eat my dinner - thank you!) and then they took her home. When they went into the elevator, I almost started to cry. I don't know how the evening really went - they told me that it wasn't that bad but they were both awake at 3 am when we got home and her voice was hoarse the next day - but Chris and I had a truly wonderful night together, with each other and with our friends. And when she woke up the next morning, Amelia smiled and cooed at me, so all seems forgiven and Chris and I have a wonderful memory.

    As Mike and Jill now start their married life together, I realize that for us, this is the start of a lifetime of tough decisions about how to be a good parent. But one smile later, it's all worth it.

    Amelia all dressed up for the party:

Grandparents on duty:

The glowing bride and groom:
The (mostly) happy parents:
Amelia, the next day:

Comments

Popular Posts