17 Sleeps 'til Christmas!

The Christmas spirit has definitely hit our house this week. There's been cookie baking, carol singing, light stringing, present wrapping and holiday shopping (it can't all be fun). The last couple years, I've been so busy working that I've hardly had time to notice the holidays coming (last year we were moving, too!) but this year, I'm actually getting the chance to enjoy it.

Mela is oblivious to the excitement, though she does like watching me sing and act out Raffi's "Must Be Santa" over and over again. She'd have a field day with the wrapping stuff, too, if I'd let her (hmm, tasty ribbons).

With this being her first Christmas, I've also starting to think about what a big decision it is to either go with the whole Santa story (basically, lie to your kids for years) or tell them the truth (and rob them of so much of the magic and excitement of Christmas). I remember how it felt to find out there wasn't a Santa (I was pretty devestated) but I can't imagine her running down stairs on Christmas morning to see her presents from her parents. That seems so dull, in a way.

I think the trick is to find a way to do it well. I like the approach Damomma takes, especially with giving to those less fortunate.

I'm kind of glad that we get a few years to think about it still. Although I am pretty excited for the year when she's more excited for what's in the presents than what's wrapping them.

Mela's presents from "Santa":
Christmas cookies:

Whose got a beard that's long and white? Mela's got a (yogurt) beard that's long and white!

Comments

Popular Posts