Amelia Jane Sits Down

Well, I'm glad to report that everyone is much recovered here now from the recent sickness. Mela in particular still has a few lingering side effects but is 95% better. Today we actually have a doctor's checkup scheduled anyway, so she'll get looked over and we'll get to find out the weight of our little 10 month old bean pole!

Not much else to report other than I realized last night that next week will be my last full week of mat leave. AGH! *cold sweats* I've been watching the end coming, so it's not a total surprise but the whole working-a-bit-in-March part was unexpected so it's been sped up a bit.

And can you ever really be prepared for the end of something you've loved? As much as I see all the ways it will be surprisingly good (for me to get out of the house, for Mela to have more stimulating play), this has been like a year-long honeymoon and I dread the day when I see her do something (e.g. sit down from standing, take a step from couch to coffee table) and realize that she's probably been able to do it for a while and I just didn't know.

Of course, pregnancy hormones (i.e. tear duct stimulators) are NOT helping the situation.

And now of course, I instantly feel the need to run out and accomplish 50 things that I haven't gotten around to yet (anyone want to help recover dining room chairs?!) but also paralyzed by the deadline.

One (small) thing I did get done last week was Mela's photo album. Remember how I was having trouble reducing the number of photos? Well, I finally finished the album. And it only covers the first two months. HA! At this rate, she'll need 6 albums for the first year! And that involved leaving out a lot of photos that I like! Really, though, a lot happened during the first two months (pregnancy shots, newborn pics, family visits, coming out party, trip to Lindsay, etc) and picture snapping did slow down a lot after that. Hopefully.

Here's a video for those (Grammie and Aunt Mary) who don't get to see her that often. She has gotten very graceful at getting down from a standing position now! It's pretty much all she does all day (stand up and sit down). Enjoy.

p.s. Meeting with nanny Maria went great yesterday! The guys agreed that she's awesome. Hoorah!

Comments

KitchenCathi said…
It is still weird and confusing to see 'Aunt Mary' and have to think, 'Oh, my SISTER, Mary'.

Glad to hear everyone is feeling better. Thanks for the video - I can't get over how she's so cautious with the sitting, that's too funny! I love how she watches her feet, still holds onto the table - very slow and safe. And so pleased with herself!
Mlle. said…
Beanpole indead! Where did the baby-weight go? What have you done with Amelia?
I'm impressed with the credentials and gumption of Maria. How old is she? How long do you expect her to be with you?
Rector Funhouse said…
Yeah, I think we need a new nickname for "Aunt Mary"- we'll see what Mela calls her.

Not sure where the baby weight went ... I think it had something to do with cutting back her intake of protein shakes (i.e. formula) and upping the low-fat, low-flavour fruits and veggies. She's totally healthy though, just very long.

People keeping asked how old Maria is but I haven't asked her yet. I'd guess mid/late 20's? Very mature for her age, anyway. Very composed and relaxed socially. She's going to be with both girls from March until July, and then with Nuala another month ('til Sept). We won't need her then 'cause I'll be on mat leave again. Ga!

Popular Posts