Stop the Presses, We've Found Our Girl

Fingers crossed, I think we've found a nanny. We'll know for sure after tomorrow, which is when the boys meet her and we sort out final contract details. We're committed and she's committed; the only problem left is a question of how many hours we can give her in March. Hopefully, that won't be a deal breaker, since I'd pretty much do anything to keep her at this point.

Her name is Maria and she's great! She was one of the many people who saw our ad on a nanny website and called but she instantly stood out as better than the rest. I just kept thinking that I'd know it when I found it and right away, I did. Lisa was going out of town at that time and we weren't supposed to do any interviews but I begged her into meeting Maria, since I knew Maria was going to other interviews also and I didn't want to risk losing her.

All through the interview, I think we both felt more and more sure that she was what we'd been looking for. During the previous interviews, I'd been unable to ask a lot of the questions I had originally drafted, either because of a language barrier or because they just seemed silly (asking detailed questions about child development stages or discipline styles would've just confused some candidates). With Maria, who has a degree in psychology / child development, she was the one mentioning developmental and age appropriate activities and balanced meals and pirate weeks! It was clear right away that she was on a different level and has the same priorities we do.

She is more expensive than we'd initially figured but really, when you see the difference in how she interacts with the girls, how can you not do everything in your power to make that money happen? Who needs cable TV anyway?!

So now we (hopefully) have a nanny! It's amazing the difference it makes to have someone good, too. She came over yesterday (I had a work meeting) and watched Amelia for the first time and it went GREAT! Mela didn't even really notice when I was leaving (the separation was wayyy harder for me!) and when I returned, she laughed when she saw me and then went back to playing! It helped of course that Maria brought a drum with her (instant interest from Mela) and that they did fun stuff like have a water party in the baby tub on the kitchen floor (something I've never thought of doing!).

In a way, actually, I think it will be good for the girls. When I'm home with Mela, for example, I'm usually doing other stuff (laundry, cleaning, playing online) and giving her part of my attention. From what I can tell, when she's with Maria, she's getting 100% stimulating interaction. And she'll have her buddy Nuala there to play with also. If anything, she'll probably be bored to be back with me in August, especially since I'll have another baby occupying so much of my time!

It's amazing the difference it makes in my own peace of mind, too. Up until now, every time I've thought about leaving Mela with a strange woman, it has always made me sick to my stomach and sometimes even brought tears to my eyes. Since walking in the door yesterday, though, and seeing how happy she was, I feel so much better about the situation. Huge, huge relief!

Here's a pic. Mela looks doubtful but shortly after this was squealing with fun:

Comments

Popular Posts