For Cathi, as She Nears the Starting Line

One of my favourite posts on my favourite blog is titled, "For Kara, as She Nears the Starting Line." It's advice from one friend to another who is about to have a baby. It always makes me cry a little, every time I read it.

Since my older sister is on the starting line today, about embark on the most important journey of her life, I thought I'd post a link to it here and quote my favorite part:

"What is there possibly to tell my friend about the road upon which she has just placed her feet — other than the old platitudes she'll hear a million times: That she won't believe how hard it is. Or how much she can love. That there was a her before her child and there will be a her after, and nothing ever will be the same again."

Sometime tonight or tomorrow, there will be a little person in the world who wasn't here yesterday. Someone who is (at least half) made of my loud, funny, smart big sister who is amazing with kids and was my first best friend. Someone who will test her to her utmost limits (it's payback time!) and who she will love with breathtaking ferocity.

I'm looking forward to meeting my first niece and my sister, the mother.

Best friends:
Aunt Cathi with Mela:

Comments

Popular Posts