How a little poundage can change your tune ...

Just read this helpful quote online:
"If you think you must wean your baby to lose weight, rest assured: Nursing helps to deplete the fat deposited during pregnancy to prepare you for lactation. So some new moms find the weight just seems to fall off while they're breastfeeding."
Oh, really?!

How is it then that I've been breastfeeding for almost 8 months and have not lost ONE POUND since after giving birth?

In fact, I tried on an old maternity top the other day and it was actually too tight in the bust!! In other words, it fit me while I was NINE MONTHS PREGNANT but is too small now.

Booooo.

Granted, I'm not afraid of carbs right now (have the odd cookie, oatmeal for breakfast and we love our chips on the weekend) but it's not like we're eating junk or brownies every night (which I would if I could).

Of course, lots of people I know actually have lost their baby weight easily while breastfeeding but I'm just saying. Not everyone experiences the miraculous slimming effect so don't tell me the weight is going to "fall off."

My mom said she didn't lose any weight until she weaned so maybe that's just the way my body works.

The only problem is, after our troubles with Mela, I swore that if I could BF my next kid, I'd do it for years. (Giving a two year old human milk seems a lot less weird than giving them cow milk, although the Freudians among us seem to freak out).

But now the weight thing makes it a total disincentive to breastfeed for a long time. Especially since I've heard *certain things* can actually be smaller after weaning (dream!).

Who knows what will happen. I was talking to a friend last night who just had to wean her 8 month old because he "wouldn't stop biting."

I gotta say, a couple of chomps would go a long way towards curing me of my commitment.

Say click:

Dad's team won the big hockey championship on the weekend. Don't have any pics of that but here's Nathan celebrating with the trophy (yes, he has sweet potato on his nose):
Winning is fun!
Are you still taking pictures?!
Mela takes a quick break from playing to drink from the cup:
Nathan decides to move from purees to solids when presented with Mela's leftover oatmeal. Ah, the joys of the second child ... let's hope he's not allergic to blueberries!
Mela demonstrates tummy time for Nathan:
Here's a cheesy smile:
Here's some random screaming:A package from Aunt Cathi! I love this giraffe!
Nathan models the latest in swim fashions:
Mela struts her awesome Dora slippers:Dora slippers and a hockey trophy - life is good!

Comments

KitchenCathi said…
OMG how cute is BaNa in that cover-up?! He'll be fighting off the ladies at the beach this summer.

And I guess Mimi likes the slippers? Who'd have known?!

Yay!
Rector Funhouse said…
He is so handsome in the cover up, it melts my heart. I think blue and green are his signature colours.

Re: the slippers, let's just say, she now has to put them on the second she enters the house. Last night she slept with them on.

Thanks for giving her another thing to obsess over!
Carly Foster said…
While I did lose some weight after giving birth to both my girls, I did not really slim back down until after I stopped nursing my eldest. I'm finding the same with second, now, too.

Don't worry -- there is light at the end! And breastfeeding is so worth it...

Popular Posts