Balloons Away!

Ten years ago this summer, I met a boy in a bar in Ottawa.

He was gorgeous and interesting and smart and amazing.

Two weeks later, he told me he was only there on a school work-term and would be moving back to Nova Scotia at the end of the month.

He left it up to me whether we would still see each other for the rest of his time there. Once I recovered from the shock, I decided it was better to love and lose than never love at all.

We had a great time together.

Then the last day came. He was brutally honest about the chances of us ever seeing each other again. He made no promises and offered no hope. He kissed me goodbye and my heart shattered and I tried to act cool and not cry like a fool.

I didn't go to work the next day. I couldn't go back to my life or get out of bed or even breathe. I had tasted true love and it left me feeling bone-achingly sad and hopeless. It was right after Labour Day and the entire sky was filled with hot air balloons, signifying the end of summer, the beginning of cold weather, the transition to a different life.

Fast forward, 10 years later.

I am married to that boy (he came back a year later). We have two amazing kids. We are about to move to Nova Scotia.

And I went up in a hot air balloon tonight and soared above the earth.

Who says fairy tales never come true ...


The Ride:

When we got there, it still wasn't sure whether we would fly or not, because the winds were still a little too strong. So we sat in a field for 45 mins waiting to see what would happen.
They kept sending up trial balloons (literally) to test the winds:
Finally, it was decided that conditions were satisfactory for flying. Time for inflation!

And then, all of a sudden, we're in the basket and away!! (and I'm thinking, "I've made a huge mistake ...")

The view:
Some crazy mansions:
Me = happy:
This was only the second time they'd flown over this route so people came out of their houses and cars kept pulling over and stopping to watch!
The people at this house invited us in for a drink (we were flying low right over them!) but we declined and climbed back into the air:
Look at our reflection!
After a lovely ride (almost 20 km!), the setting sun tells us it's time to pick a field and start to land ...
Crazy, bumpy, scary, thrilling landing in a soybean field... and then we're down and out and it's time to pack up:


Wonderful, wonderful experience!

Comments

KitchenCathi said…
SO EXCITING! I bet mum is barfing just thinking about it. I think I would enjoy this. It's not like it's skydiving, which is just plain dumb.

Happy Anniversary! Felicitations on your grand match! :-)

Was that really 10 years ago?! I remember going to the York right after you met Chris. That was like, last weekend.
Aaralynn's Mom said…
Happy Anniversary. Wow! Aaralynn now shares her birthday with you guys

Popular Posts