The garbage ends but there's lots of sweat, tears and love in our family

Photo credit: Aunt Mary

Hooray! They're going to vote on it tomorrow but our city workers have tentatively accepted an agreement to end the stinky, smelly garbage strike that's been plaguing our city for weeks.

The worst parts were the lack of ballet class for Mela, the lack of a splash pad within shouting distance and the tax on our precious weekend time (had to give up VALUABLE packing time to haul our refuse to a mountain of smell on Sunday).

Speaking of moving, went to IKEA the other day for one last goodbye. Can't believe that I'm not going to be able to shop there anymore. The best part, as usual, was the hot dog at the end. Mela got to eat one this time, as a special treat:

She's actually really excited:
Nate ate a veggie wrap. Can you imagine that an 11-month old can eat an entire tortilla filled with raw vegetables?!! It blew my mind.

Hi mom! Thanks for the food!
We actually asked someone to take our picture. IKEA Dorks:
In other news, we went into my (old) work today. And it only took the entire morning to get out of the house!

Nathan was thrilled to find people who handed him teddy bears and walked him around (in his squeaky shoes!).
Mela was a little more friendly than in the past but still saved her real love for her snack.
One reason we went in was because the VP wanted to talk to me before we moved. We set it up ahead of time so that a friend would watch the kids while we chatted.

Unfortunately, when I got there, (1) she was stuck in a meeting, and (2) the power was out.

So after carrying both kids, the diaper bag AND the stroller up two flights of stairs, we got to his office.

It was like something out of Mr. Mom. I was trying to act professional and interested in the conversation while soaked with sweat and watching the kids (out of the corner of my eye) tear apart his office.

Luckily, the VP turned out to be very kid-friendly and actually picked Nate up and held him on his lap while he talked (Nate, of course, tried to send an email on the Blackberry).

I smiled appreciatively and tried to ignore the smell I knew was coming from Nate's diaper.

Ah, the modern working woman.

You have to have perspective, though. When we got to the car, Mela pointed out that our new. grey. big. car. has a big mouth and is smiling.

True, Mela, true. I can't believe I didn't notice.
Hooray for new cars!

It was a good morning but then a bad afternoon/evening. When I went in to get her up from her nap, she was inconsolable. Turns out she has the bum burn again.

All I can think is that she had some cherries yesterday.

How sad that the poor little fruitatarian can't eat some fruits.

After much trauma (that included Nate angrily sympathy-sobbing every time Mela cried!), we finally got her setttled on the couch with some air circulation, Nemo and cinnamon Eggo waffles (so jealous!).
Speaking of moving ...

I've decided that moving across the country (happening 4 weeks from today!) is little bit like waiting for the birth of your baby:

(1) You have a lot to do. You're on Craigslist all the time (except you're selling, not buying). You have a list of tasks that aren't getting done (this makes it also like planning a wedding).

(2) You prepare to say goodbye to things. With pregnancy, it's sleep, free time and your heart. With moving, it's an entire city, a whole group of friends, a home and a way of life.

(3) Every time you see people, they excitedly ask how things are going. You answer calmly but are secretly filled with a clutching knot of fear and panic. This anxiety would be even worse, except for the certain feeling that this is not actually happening to you.

When I was pregnant (especially with Nate), I just couldn't imagine that at the end of it all, I'd be holding a tiny, mewling little newborn babe. And with moving, you can't actually imagine the day (rapidly approaching!) when you're sitting in your new house (!), in your new town, in your new province.

You're going through the motions and repeating the same jokes but secretly believe that at the end of it all, you'll end up back here, at home, and have a good laugh about how crazy the whole thing was.

As Mela's favourite song says, though:

All I really need
is a song in my heart
food in my belly
and love in my family.

Comments

Jenny Lea said…
I feel your pain with the move. We move on Friday. Frantic probably describes where we are with packing and such tasks. (Yet I still find time to procrastinate.)

On another note - veggie wraps???? That is amazing. What doesn't Nate eat?

Ok. Back to washing out garbage cans.
Rector Funhouse said…
Good luck with your move!!! How exciting to be going to your new house! Totally understand the frantic feeling (see me in 3.5 weeks).

I know - veggie wraps!! The boy barely has teeth and he can bite through a tortilla! It's a wonder.

Popular Posts