Mid-week update: Working mom and better boy

Week 2 of "working" and it finally hit me today.

Even though I'm not going in to an office every day, it's still a permanent change. Permanent! From now on, the kids are going to be with a sitter/nanny for at least two days, every week.

We will never again have a week of just uninterrupted time together.

A little part of me is sad and terrified that this is it ... this is the slippery slope to kindergarten and junior high and goodbye waves as the car drives off to college and the "best" years of their lives are behind us and we squandered them.

That's one little part.

The other big part is ecstatic to be out of the fricken house!!!!!!!! WOOHOO!!! *jumpy claps*

So. I'm obviously very torn.

In kid news, Nate has been the devil (hence the freedom joy). And then suddenly today, he wasn't. Top incisors broke through yesterday so clearly makes all the difference. We played with trucks for a long time before breakfast and it was all laughing and fun and neck kisses.

So much fun when they're fun ...

Say click:
Hanging with the kid crowd:
Nate engages in some truck-related feats of strength:
Mela demonstrates the ketchup/lipstick trick:
Kitten girl:
Mama's boy:
Roll 'em:
Here's some boring dinner "conversation." I grabbed the camera because Nate started counting vegetables on his plate and made it up to 7 on his own! (How is it possible that this 1.5 year old somehow learned to count without ANY encouragement from me?! Fascinating second child.) He doesn't repeat the feat for the camera, of course, but does pull out some alphabet song. Who knew he was absorbing this stuff??



p.s. Just looked back at this time last year (May/June) and found a surprisingly similar post about going back to do some work and one of my kids learning to count! This is why people with bad memories keep blogs. Choked me up a bit though to see how much Mela's changed in a year. Hard to picture her any way but how she is today - amazing to see her level of communication back then. And how much she sounds like Nate (saying "yup" and "funny" exactly like Nate). Wow.

Comments

Mlle. said…
Who are these children. I do not know these kids.
They are hilarious wild ones though. I don't think anyone can wonder why you'd need just two days of "down time" from SHhhhh.
Rector Funhouse said…
You know them, they're just newer versions. I can't wait for you to see them again!

Yeah, the "ssshhh'ing" was because I made the shh sign to Mela while I was trying to get a video of Nate doing the ABC's. So she's getting back at me by shushing me later.

Ya gotta let them have the small victories, even though it's annoying/somewhat disrespectful!
Mlle. said…
I LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU TOO!

Popular Posts