Great Illness Made Bearable By Games of Peekaboo

It turns out that my fatigued feeling yesterday was actually legitimate ... I started getting a sore throat in the late afternoon, which then blossomed into full sickness. Fabulous. Because there's nothing better for a shut-in mom than being confined to bed.

I've been watching Mela closely to see if she's getting sick too (was sneezing earlier in the week when I was) but so far, she seems in pretty good spirits. She's also cruelly indifferent to my suffering, ignoring my repeated requests for hot tea and arrowroot cookies, choosing instead to spend her time spitting out food or trying to eat envelopes.

She was a little cranky last night leading up to bed, though. In a dazzling display of parenting, I sat her on the couch with me and we watched the news together. So much for never letting your kids watch tv.

One good thing came of it though - she played peekaboo for the first time! At first I thought I was imagining it - she kept lifting my apron up to cover her face and then bringing it down and grinning at me. Once I caught on, we played for like 45 minutes! Apparently, it doesn't get old. Maybe peekaboo isn't that exciting for the average person but it's such a clear sign of definite cause and effect action on her part, I was thrilled. And I loved how she would hold the apron up and then sit and GIGGLE TO HERSELF! Almost like she was thinking, "Man! I'm such an awesome hider! Mom will never find me here!"

I loved it.

Here's a clip:

Comments

Mlle. said…
I'm still just impressed that she can giggle and sit up!
Rector Funhouse said…
I know! She's come a long way since you last saw her, that's for sure.

Popular Posts