Infant CPR (courage not included)

Well, we went to an infant CPR course today. (It was totally thanks to the Hearn-Burke's - they research this kind of stuff and then we just ride their coat tails.)

It was good ... I could barely watch at the beginning, the thought of something happening makes me crazy with fear. But I think I got the gist. My biggest concern is choking (see peanut incident earlier this week for proof of my floor cleaning / supervisory abilities) and the back-whacking for that seems pretty straightforward.

I am kind of worried, though, that in the event of an actual emergency, I would panic and freeze or concentrate on some minor aspect (e.g. is it 20 or 25 compressions? Do I compress on the nipple line or one finger below? Should my breath be forceful or more of a puff?).

There is precedent for this fear, too; my little sister actually did choke last Easter and I just sat there in shock, thinking, "Huh. Look at that. I think she's really choking. Wow, that's awful. I can't believe it's happening. I hope somebody helps her." Luckily, my mom was on hand and sprung into action.

Hopefully, I'll be a little more useful if something were to happen to you-know-who. I'm going to post the steps somewhere central and then try to relax about it. It's hard to find the line between constant panic and too relaxed, though ....

I think it might involve more sweeping.

p.s. Speaking of my watchfulness, here's a pic of Mela yesterday with her presscccciousss laptop cord. I swear, I just look away for a second and my non-crawling baby can move across the room at lightening speed!

Here's another pic - first time wearing overalls! Will the milestones never cease?! If you're interested, they're size 18 months. As in, my 8 month old baby is wearing the clothes of a baby 10 months older than her age. (The CPR course instructor today actually said, "Wow, your baby's 8 months? I would've guessed much older! She's the same size as my 14 month old." Uh, thanks??)

Comments

Mlle. said…
Can't believe you remember the incident. It is still with me, too.
That kid is HUGE. Get her off the roids!

Popular Posts