One month done!

Quick update from the madhouse:

Good news and not-so-good news here.

The not-so-good news is that we have two fussy babies.

Not sure what exactly is wrong with Mela these days ... probably a combination of a lot of change recently (new baby, parents away for the weekend, new person around - Aunt Mary!) plus some teething and stomach upset.

Much more clingy and whiny/crying than normal, although she's starting to warm up a bit now.

My poor chicken.

The worst part is that I can't give her 100% of my attention like I normal would, since I have baby2 attached to me 95% of the time and I really do need the other 5% for things like eating, laundry and the occasional shower.

As for Nate, we've had a string of fussy days.

Refuses to sleep on his own and won't even be rocked in your arms or the sling unless he has your finger in his mouth, too. Actually, he pretty much cries for anything other than being on the boob and sometimes fusses even then, too. Arrgghh.

It's getting better though, in the sense that I've found a strategy that works: just give in to terrorism.

The last few evenings, once Mela's down, I've just taken him to bed and given him unlimited nursing time. It's worked quite well - after a long time of fussing and squirming, he eventually falls into a deep, still sleep. And I find it helps me to have some quiet time after a full day of babies crying.

I've pretty much decided now that he's experiencing some kind of digestive issue (either milk imbalance or allergy) based on the increasing fussiness + the consistently green poop. Talked to the midwife about it and am going to try a couple different things. Fingers crossed that we find something that works.

The best part of the conversation with the midwife yesterday is that she recommended increasing the fat in my diet as one possible tactic.

I think this is the best thing I've ever been told by a healthcare professional - donuts for every meal!

The good news is ... Nathan is gaining weight!!! A good amount of weight, too!

This may not sound like a big deal but considering the fussiness and the fact that green stool indicates that nutrients are passing through his system too quickly, this is GREAT news. They recommend a baby this age gain 5-7 ounces per week and he's gained an average of 9 ounces the past two weeks (19 oz total), so he's obviously doing fine.

This was a huge relief and makes me believe that maybe breastfeeding is going to work out after all! (Did I just jinx it?).

In other news, Aunt Mary has arrived to stay with us for a couple weeks. Not sure if she knew what she was getting in to (within minutes of her arrival, they were both screaming at the same time!) but is a HUGE help. Not quite sure what we'd do without her. Mela especially is reaping the rewards of a new playmate, although she was a little suspicious at first ("Who is this person and why is she so much fun?").

Here are some pics:

Little pink riding hood:
Reinforcements (Aunt Mary) arrives!
Playing with Dad:
Rare peaceful moment of rest:

Healthy baby:
Amazing how much he looks like someone else I know:

Comments

Popular Posts