Some M&M's: Both Salty and Sweet

Although I meant to, I haven't taken any pictures of the new stroller yet because every time I've had it out, I'm too busy skipping down the street, belting out love songs to superior suspension and maneuverability.

Not really, but it's so nice, I want to take it with me always, even when I don't have the kids.

Hahaha, that was a trick - I never leave the house without kids!

Things here are good, we've had a bit of a spring thaw and are trying to enjoy it as much as possible. Nathan is growing in his sleep and slowly learning that "tummy time' is not actually wicked torture.

Mela meanwhile continues to amuse us with her hilarious toddler antics.

Here are a few M&M's (Mela Moments) from the past couple days:

*****
Ever since I walked in on Mela trying to climb out of her crib about a week ago ("Oh, excuse me! You're trying to break your neck? Pardon me for interrupting."), we've been planning the switch to a "Big Girl Bed".

Basically, this just consisted of taking the side off her crib and making it look pretty with some nice blankets and her old flowered bumper pad.

I did it when my parents were here, since they're experts at this type of thing. We made a big hoopla out of it all and Mela was in heaven.

And then the next night she fell out of bed. And then last night she fell out of bed ... TWICE.

So now the "Big Girl Bed" has morphed into the "Big Girl Nest" which consists of her crib mattress on the floor.

Not as pretty but Mama's heart couldn't take one more of those thumps in the night.

Funny that I thought we'd be using two cribs for at least a couple years ... turns out that they really only overlapped about a week or two.

*****

So the other day after lunch, my mom said that she thought she saw Mela put some rice up her nose during lunch. Hmmm, I thought, gross. And then I forgot about it.

Two days later ...

Mela and I were sitting on the living room floor doing our awesome "Learning Time" (bought the Teach My Toddler kit last week and we're totally loving it!). She sneezed. Then sneezed again. Then sneezed three more times.

Oh no, I thought, she's getting sick AGAIN. Then I looked over at her and saw ...

a grain of white stuff on her upper lip. I wiped it off and identified it as the missing rice. A couple minutes later, she sneezed again and an actual clump of wet, gooey stuff (half white, half red with blood) appeared under her nose.

In the past 21 months of parenting, I think that may be the grossest thing I've seen yet.

*****

Today I was walking home from the library with the kids and Mela was starting to fall asleep in the (awesome) stroller. I didn't want her to ruin her nap so got her out and she walked beside me, holding my hand.

Usually we're rushed on our way back home, anxious to make it to the sanctuary because of the searing cold and before Baby Nathan melts down with tired/hungry. But for once, BaNa was asleep and it was a balmy (but overcast) day, so there was no real rush.

We meandered slowly down the street, with Mela chatting in gibberish the whole time. At one point, I heard a crow caw and wondered if Mela noticed. Sure enough, she stopped and pointed up in the sky and said, "Abraga, uh, geehnkaha, CAW CAW!"

Then for the next five minutes, every few steps, she would be babbling away and suddenly interject a "Caw Caw!" and point to the sky.

It was so cute.

We looked at doggies ("Arf! Arf!). We looked at dirty cigarette butts ("Uh oh!"). We looked at a rain puddle ("Wow! Wow!) and Mela experimented with stepping in the water and making ripples.

I breathed the cool fresh air and thought about an alternate universe, where I was at work and Mela was in day care, with someone else teaching her about the world. It took my breath away, to think of someone else sharing these little miracles with her.

I was thinking about work the other day (saw a great opportunity) and what I'd be giving up if I went back early.

I saw this cartoon somewhere recently and it summed up how I feel pretty well:


Here are some pics:

Mela checks out the new Big Girl Bed!
Before the falls:
Nathan in his crib!!!
I've finally found something Mela likes to eat. Plain spaghetti with plain pasta sauce. Too busy to smile at the camera, Mama, I'm eating!
For some reason, Mela thinks it's hilarious to pile herself with pillows:
Nathan and Eavan: Is it just me or does it look like our baby wants to eat their baby:

Comments

KitchenCathi said…
I remembered this was why I originally called you this morning, to ask how the bed was working out. So scary, the noise of a baby falling out of bed! Jenny finally fell off the couch for the first time, but she did it so quietly I didn't hear her, and since my laptop cord was right there conveniently on the floor, she was instantly distracted with chewing on it.
Anyhow, hope Mimi is doing ok with the bed, no matter what position it's in.
Rector Funhouse said…
The mattress-on-the-floor arrangement is working great! I kinda wish I'd done it a long time ago. Yes, she totally destroys her room every nap/bedtime (books and clothes everywhere) but we're working on that and I love the fact that she doesn't cry at bedtime. I never never liked the thought of the baby jail.

So scary when the fall of the couch happens. When Nathan did, he just pitched forward and rolled off so smoothly, I couldn't believe it. You've got carpet though, right? That makes a big difference.

Laptop cords ... tasty.

Popular Posts