We both win, really

So I was reading my favourite mom blog the other day (I was actually reading her book from back when she only had one toddler!) and she had a funny post about an average day feeding her child.

Basically, no matter what she feeds her that day, it always ends up on the floor/ceiling/dog's mouth and the child eats yogurt.

And I realized, this is not a Russian prison camp (Rector Gulag?).

We've been so strict with Mela and trying to get her to eat a variety of foods (i.e. anything other than carbs or fruit). I thought that I'd made things worse by giving her oranges after she refused to eat her eggs and sausage and I've been trying for a few months now to never cave in.

Except now she's not getting protein OR fruit. And none of her pants fit 'cause her waist is so slim. (If only I could have that problem ...)

So maybe it's time to loosen up a bit. Maybe she only eats toast and bananas for a week (while still being presented with a rainbow of nutritious options).

Maybe that's not the end of the world. At least she's not eating Kraft dinner and grape popsicles, right?

In keeping with this new philosophy, I dished out a big bowl of yogurt for her yesterday. Right before serving, though, I couldn't resist sneaking in some veggies (what's one pea among the mountains of slippery whiteness?).

I ended up pureeing some peas, green beans, corn and broccoli and pouring it over top.

This is what it looked like (ugh):
And the verdict?

Thumbs up!
(Is it just me or does she look just like Aunt Lisa in this pic?)

So we both win! Mela gets all-you-can-eat yogurt (she had three bowls yesterday!) and I get to feel like my kid is getting some trace nutrients.

Hooray!

I know there are some popular cookbooks out there right now that have all kinds of sneaky tricks like this for getting toddlers to eat vegetables but I don't have time to read that kind of stuff! I'm too busy cruising Craigslist and taking pictures for the blog ...

Here are some more pics ...

The Baby Eavan! Check out the perspective of her head vs the wipes container. So tiny!
I look good holding another newborn, right? (Gaaaaa! *shiver*)
Big sis Nuala practices her new baby holding skills with a slightly panicked Nathan:
What is it about little babies that beg for nicknames? Right now, Nathan is either "baby boo bear," "buddy" or "Butters." Apparently, we're big on the B's ... Here's a self-portrait from this morning (he woke up at 6:30 am!!!) of me and my Buddy:

Comments

Popular Posts