The mama gets a break by doing work, Mela starts to talk and Nathan eats his way through infancy

Lots to say but no time to say it.

The biggest news here this week is that developments are afoot on the career front. Seems insane to take on work right now (since I have approx. 32 minutes a day of free time) but we've been handed a win-win-win-win situation so really couldn't say no.

Here are the wins:

Win 1: The kids get exposed to a caregiver other than Mom/Dad. This means new games and activities, plus helps decrease the clingy factor. Singing, blowing bubbles and trips to the park ... they'll probably have more fun than with me!

Win 2: I get out of the house! Honestly the benefit of this can not be overstated. I had a meeting this week and even if it bombed (it didn't - went great), it still would've been awesome just to get dressed up and have some time alone in the car. (I even got to go to Staples!)

It's amazing how things have changed in a year; last year, I sobbed after dropping Mela off with someone new. This year, with an even younger baby, I'm like ... "HAHAHAHA! I'm freeeeee!!!!"

Win 3: Work experience. I get to put something on my resume I haven't really done before and use parts of my brain that were starting to get covered in dust and cobwebs.

(When the project manager in the meeting started to talk about the "gooey," it actually took me a couple minutes to clue in that he meant the Graphic User Interface (GUI), and not some sticky fingers. Dur.)

Win 4: Money!!! Yay for money! Money buys all kinds of pretty things, like food and shelter. Hooray!


The only downside is that I had to find a nanny (major stress) and now have to actually have to do some work (mild stress).

But clearly it's worth it. Did I mention I got out of the house yesterday?!!

***

In other news, Nathan continues to be a human garbage disposal.

At 8 months, Mela daintily refused anything that wasn't pureed to the finest texture. Here's a list of things Nathan's eaten so far this week:
  • 3 kilos of pureed foods
  • 3 kilos of finger foods (including toast and bagels!)
  • Mela's leftover tofu nuggets (glad that someone enjoyed my hard work)
  • Part of a hamburger patty
  • A banana chip (This one was an accident. I turned my back for a minute and he'd grabbed it from Mela's plate. I couldn't get it out of his mouth either - I would've needed the Jaws of Life.)
  • Some hunks of chicken
  • Grass (by the handful)
  • A tissue (Again, my back was turned and all of sudden, half a kleenex was gone. He couldn't quite swallow it though, so it got caught in his throat and he had to regurgitate it. Very gross.)
It's amazing. The boy has yet to cut a single tooth but can chomp through a green bean like a champ.

Must take after his cous, Jenny.

***

In development news, Mela's talking is crazy!

A month ago, she could barely get past Mama / Dada. Now she's not only saying all kinds of words, she's stringing them together and expressing concepts ("Mela awake", "Mama! More ABC!", "Dada home?", "Sit down sweater?").

Today we were driving away from the house and she said, "Bye bye home. Miss you!" (Well, actually, she said, "Bye bye oom. Issooo!" but we knew what she meant.)

After waiting so long for this, it's a joy.

My favourite talking moment of the week came when I was admiring my husband one morning and I said, "Mela, your dad is hot!"

She looked a little confused and then turned to Chris with great concern and said, "Dada ... hot?"

No Mela, he wasn't warm. Just very, very cute.

***

Say click:

Mela's new thing is wearing socks on her hands. No idea why:
Her other new thing is to lie down on the floor (or ground) and yell, "Help! Mama, help! Stuck!"). when clearly, she's not stuck and could just stand up. Mama doesn't like this game.

Find the "stuck" kid in this picture:
Two year old Attitude:
This is our new nanny, Sara. She's great. I've basically hired my friend Kat, which is nice since I miss Kat:
We tried to have a picnic in the backyard this week. It was almost more effort than it was worth. Dirt was everywhere and I think Nathan ate more grass than food. At least we got out of the house:

Comments

KitchenCathi said…
Argh, I'm going crazy trying to figure out what's going on with you and this 'work' thing that was alluded to in stupid TWITTER. You must call me!
Glad to hear it's a win trifecta.

Popular Posts