Even the baby is stricken ...

Baby Nathan has a fever.

He started getting hot and sneezing a lot yesterday and then by last night, was fully sick. We got him down without too much trouble but by midnight, when I took his temperature (invasive!), he was burning to the touch.

Of course, I panicked for a second. (What is it about feverish babies that makes you instantly forget everything you ever read about how to treat it?)

Then I gave him a soothing cool sponge bath to try and cool him off. I was hoping it will make him comfortable enough to sleep for a bit but still, he woke up and wanted to nurse .

About every 15-20 minutes.

The.whole.night.long.

I remember having a night like this with Amelia, when we were both sick. At the time, I thought it was pure misery but at least then, I could sleep when she slept during the day.

As sorry as I feel for myself, though, I feel worse for Nathan. There is nothing more heartwrenching than a baby struggling to breath through a clogged nose and whimpering from fever.

He's such a little trooper, though. When I woke him up at 4 am for another dose of Tempra, he looked up at me and gave the biggest, gummiest smile!

That's my boy.

No time for pictures, but here are a couple recent ones:

Nathan at 4 months - the size of a small elephant!
I didn't mean to dress both my kids in brown:
Trying to get a shot of Mela's mouth (hurt her lips) was harder than expected, as she wouldn't stop sweeping the floor:
We visited a potential preschool last week. It was one little boy's birthday and his mom had brought in chocolate cake. Mela though it was the best place EVER and tried to cram a lifetime's worth of cake in her mouth in one sitting.

Comments

KitchenCathi said…
So much rollercoastering in your world right now (Baby sleeps! Baby doesn't sleep! Baby sleeps! Baby is sick!). That's got to be the worst part - the tease, that you THINK things are getting better but really, life is just waiting to slap you with a cold wipe.

Don't bring those germs to Lindsay! Must get better! I will hold your sick crying children and you shall take naps with Jenny.
KitchenCathi said…
Also... the pic where both kids are in brown; did you take it in 1974? Just wondering.
Rector Funhouse said…
We are definitely bringing a ton of germs home for Christmas.

Make fun of those brown outfits if you will but they are totally cute in person. Nathan's is a little cowboy.

Popular Posts