Pantley Pull-Out, Bow to the Wow and Mela learns to say P-U!

I've started no less than three different posts over the past few days but things keep changing so I never get a chance to publish.

And then when I look back, they don't apply anymore. Like the one where I started by saying how good things had become:
He was much calmer yesterday (although, interestingly, has become much more finicky about going to sleep for naps) and then conked out at 9 pm last night.
Yeah, that lasted exactly one night. And then it was back to the same old evening crying routine. I even took a video one night to remind myself of what these days were actually like (i.e. see this video if ever considering child #3).

And I'm full of questions, some of which I'm (hopefully) going to post here soon to see if anyone has any suggestions.

Mostly I just need to figure out how to get Nathan to sleep without motion or nursing for naps. I've been trying the Pantley Pull-Out but it's not really working. I nurse him to sleep and then can get away but then basically have to keep going upstairs every 10 minutes which makes it virtually impossible to do anything (like cook dinner) and sometimes involves me leaving my toddler briefly unsupervised (dangerous).

If I try to disengage while he's drowsy but awake (what she suggests), he loses it. Every time.

This is an issue now because it's gotten harder for him to sleep in the swing during the day. Maybe it's because he's become more interested in his environment. Or maybe it's because there is a toddler who likes to practice her jumping and shrieking skills right next to him.

As a last resort, I can put him in the carrier sometimes and "wear him down" but I don't want this to become the routine. My back can't take it and it's really annoying to try and pick things off the floor / cook at a hot stove / read a book to your toddler when you're baby wearing.

Any advice from you breastfeeding moms? I've read some stuff but it all involves taking your baby to a quiet place and rocking them or laying down with them. What do moms do when they have two kids??

Crying it out is not exactly an option. My heart is sick today as it is because his voice is hoarse from crying. How sad is that? Poor guy.

In terms of updates, the busy continues. Went out shopping (to the grocery store!) on Saturday and braved a drive by myself and the kidlets to a friend's house Sunday. In a stunning act of maturity, Nathan didn't cry at all on the way there or the way back. Is this progress?

Today we went with Aunt Mary to the Eaton Centre and did some quick shopping (Mama needed some unfashionable nursing tops so she can stop flashing her middriff at everyone). It went as well as could be expected, which is to say that it was stressful but manageable. At one point we were tossing bits of orange into the backseat for Mela and blaring Snoop Doggie Dog (Chris had it in the stereo) to stop Nathan from crying.

Insanity.

Here are some photos:

When you're done there, do you mind washing some dishes, too?
Playdate with friend, Bronwyn:
Eating at the table without a booster - such a big girl!
Yes, Nathan, it's still there:
Nathan is the hiphop-opotomus:
"Feeding" baby Nathan:
Play time with Aunt Mary:
Bad boy (see the skull and crossbones?):
Mela practices her "flying":
New bedtime routine involves a soothing bath and quality family time on the couch:
Nathan loves stuffing blankets in his mouth. Hey, whatever works:
What do we say about changing diapers? P-U!
After much walking around the house, baby Nathan finally finds the sleep he needs:
Happy December!!

Comments

Popular Posts