Mela ships out and Nathan digs in

Well, Mela has been shipped off to the grandparent's house this week, to help us focus on Nate-dog's sleeping situation.

Which is a little after the fact, since we couldn't wait any longer and went ahead and started the training last week and now things are going super well and it's not really an issue anymore but ...

... that means this week gets to be all about Mama getting a break!!

[insert happy, upbeat, slightly crazy feista music here]

So far, I've come up with about a hundred things I'm going to accomplish in the four days without a toddler. Which may be a tad ambitious but I'm already awake an extra hour tonight since I'm not totally exhausted from running after Mela all day.

It makes such a huge difference not to have her around. Here are some of the benefits:
  • I don't have to figure out what she's going to eat (and then have to make it) four times a day. This is harder than it may seem, since there's only so many times a day you can serve tofu, yogurt, grapes or crackers.
  • My dishwasher actually has room for some dishes, instead of endless confusing sippy cup parts.
  • I can go an entire day without watching Dora or Diego ("Aaaahhhh, Rescue Pack! Cooommming to the rescue!").
  • I can set things down on the floor and not worry whether or not they'll be there in five minutes
  • I can leave the house without having to pack a suitcase full of snacks, toys, mittens, hats, boots or maneuver a big rig double stroller.
  • I can stub my toe and say "Ouch" (or even curse!) and not worry about a little kid bursting into tears (what can I say, she's a sensitive soul)
  • And best of all ... once the toys are cleaned up, they.stay.put.away. WAHAHAHA!
Can you tell I was ready for a break?! Funny how I used to think having a baby was hard. Now I'm giddy at the thought of having "only" a baby.

Of course, though, it means that I have to go four days without my Mimi. Which is like four days without air. But man, I'll hold my breath all week if it means getting stuff done and having this time with Nathan.

In other news, Baby Nathan has started solids!

I'm as surprised as you are (actually, I don't know if you're surprised). I was pretty adamant that it's best to wait until 6 months but 1) Nathan's been lunging at my food lately, 2) he's the size of a weaned piglet, 3) I'm feeding him about 20 times a day and he still seems hungry.

So solids it is! With Mela, the "introduction of solids" was a big production, with carefully chosen pureed food, a new bib and video camera rolling. With Nathan (aka Baby2), I was at a friend's house and casually offered him some pear. He had just tried to bite my hand to get at it, so I figured it was only polite.

It was chunky and he gagged a bit on some of the bigger bits but overall, seemed quite pleased. And although I wanted to hold off on baby food for as long as possible (so much work!), it's going to be a big relief once I have an unlimited food source other than me.

Won't be able to post much this week, since I'll be so busy enjoying the toddler-free time, so here are some recent fotos to enjoy:

Both Mela and Nate find Nathan's dancing hilarious:
Buddy Nathan hanging out (p.s. I don't think this counts as "tummy time" Nathan):
Hooray for sleep training!
G-Pop enjoys some baby snuggles:
and entertaining his audience:
Nathan gets ready for a feast:
Warning: you may go blind if you look directly at this extreme cuteness:
Mela in her new car seat - a long way from last year (hmm, does her face look like anyone I know??):
Sunday, Jan 12: Mela Jane licks her first beater!
... and then dances:
... and smiles cheesy:
Hmmm, it's cake with blueberries! Mela is in heaven:
Amelia likes to see the world through lettuce-coloured plastic:

Comments

KitchenCathi said…
I see Jenny in a few of those BaNa faces, what do you think? They just may be related after all.

Beaters! So exciting.

I forgot to ask you about pinto beans, the whole reason I called. I'll ask the interwebs.
Rector Funhouse said…
I don't know who I see in BaNa - he has such a particular little face. I can't wait to see how he changes over the next year.

I wonder what your question is about pintos. They mysteriously hide from me every time I try to buy them (crucial for Mom's rice and beans) but somehow Chris can get them.

If it's about kids eating them, Mela loves beans. I have no idea why.

Popular Posts