Happy birthday Nathan and goodbye Beijing

Happy birthday, baby boy.

One week ago, at this time, I was pushing. And screaming. And dying.

At 7 am, our man was born. And the relief and joy was overwhelming.

In the past week, I've been exhausted and humbled ("Oh, the second time nursing/taking care of a newborn will be much easier!") and exhilarated and flooded with love (turns out you can love the second child as much as the first!).

I've also watched a lot of Olympics.

Tonight I watched the closing ceremonies and cried a bit when they extinguished the torch. Totally sappy, I know (hormones!) but it made me sad to think that this first week was over already.

If I've learned anything about parenthood this past year, it's that time flies by much faster than I realized it could. Now the first week is gone and I can't help but feel that, before I know it, Nathan will be a chubby giggling baby and then we'll be celebrating his first birthday and he'll be a toddler like Mela and then he'll be going to kindergarten and then he'll be grown and out the door and I still won't know what hit me.

And every time I hear of the Beijing Olympics, I'll remember this first week with him, watching totally random events at all times of day and night (women's marathon, swimming, track relays, tae kwon do, endless hours of synchronized diving) while slowly starting to get to know my boy's face and moods and every inch.

So goodbye Beijing. And hello Nathan and our lives ahead. Usually your mom doesn't cry this much.

Middle of the night snuggles:
Big chair, little baby:
Mela discovers that the bath can have BUBBLES!

Much to our amazement, Mela went over, got out the sling, put it over her head and pointed up to the bassinet. Not sure whether she wanted to practice some baby-wearing or was plotting to get rid of the new sibling already:Our gang. Apparently my recovering body isn't quite as skinny in reality as it is in my mind.Nathan celebrates his one-week birthday with a well-deserved nap:

Comments

KitchenCathi said…
That made me blubber. The idea of the Beijing Olympics forever being a reminder of the first week you had your son. Argh. Crying again now. No sleep for me last night either, going to send Jenny to live with Dre for remainder of formative years. Of course, I don't have sore nips or a crier so I should be everlastingly grateful.

Popular Posts