Three days left until ... what? A meaningless milestone.

Still no news to report, although we had nice visit Thursday with our transplanted friend, Melanie (guaranteed to be an invaluable source of second baby tips) and her new baby Harrison.

We also had a great midwife visit on Friday. Andrea was upbeat about everything and managed to somehow to make the whole situation seem positive.

When I told her about the weeks of unrelenting and exhausting Braxton-Hicks contractions I've been enduring, she said that that was "great to hear!" since it means that my body has been doing a lot of productive work to prepare for labour.

When I complained about the discomfort of heaving around such a heavy, low belly, she did an external check of the baby and said that "he's in an awesome position" for birth.

When I lamented the lack of labour-inducing strategies available, she gave me some helpful tips of things we could try (spicy meal - guess what we had for dinner tonight?) and said that if nothing has happened by our appointment next week, she would do a |sweep of the membranes." (Apparently this involves sweeping her finger around the neck of the cervix which releases hormones called prostaglandins, which may kick-start labour." Which sounds good to me - I'm pretty anti-intervention but at this point, I'm lovin the idea that there's something we can do to speed things up a bit.)

So in summary, I came away from our conversation with lots of support and (maybe false?) hope. At one point in the visit, she said something about "when I call her this weekend ...". I was like, what makes you think it'll be this weekend? and she said that it just seemed like I was really close.

It felt good at the time, although after another long day of draining BH contractions today, my newfound excitement has been diminished.

On top of everything, have I mentioned that Mela is a cranky-cranky pants? Basically gets frustrated and cries at every little thing about a hundred times a day. I'm blaming teeth, since I can see one molar is only half way through and her gums are swollen and her drool soaks her shirts after about 5 minutes of wear.

Poor monkey but really, not what is needed right now (especially when it's manifested as high-pitched shrieking when Mom is trying to drive).

Sooo ... three more days until the due date. Not that that means anything. We keep telling ourselves that the baby has to born eventually but at this point, I ready to give up on the whole having-a-baby thing entirely.

Why did we ever want to mess with a good thing?!

New addition! Melanie and HarrisonThe first born children eat some pita and guacamole:
When it's rainy, we make our own fun ... with cushions!

Mela shows her enthusiasm at the thought of having a sibling:

Comments

Popular Posts