Strong start for week two!

Good day here on Condor!

The bad news is that the Grandma left this evening, which means our entire household will now fall apart and Mela's quality of life is about to experience a significant drop.

It's funny, you know your kid likes someone when they enter a room and make a beeline for that person, when they do something funny (walking on tiptoes!) and look at that person for a reaction, when you go in to get them up for a nap and they try to look around you to see if the other person is there, too.

My mom is a tough act to follow.

The good news is that our man slept for 4 hours straight this afternoon!!! I managed to catch three hours of that myself and actually woke up from the nap on.my.own. Shocking. It was almost as if I was fully rested! And then he slept another 3 hour stretch this evening, which I caught all of myself, too.

So we're heading into the night time in a very strong strategic position.

Now that the dad is back, too, it makes a huge difference. Last night I was up and down about 20 times from 12 am until 3 am and by the end of it, was ready to snap (could get the babe to fall asleep in my arms but the second I'd set him down / turn off my light, he'd start fussing. Argh!).

At that point, though, Chris got up and took him downstairs. I laid down and slept for 2 hrs, which was golden. When Chris got me up, he also carried the boy downstairs and got me a cold glass of water.

Who knew when I picked him up for his good looks that he'd be such a good dad and husband too?! Dumb luck.

Not much else for news. Nathan has newborn "crusty eye" (right bottom eyelid coated with thick yellow goo) which scared me just enough to pull a new mom move and call the midwife. You don't mess with the eyes, I say. She said to wipe it with breastmilk and it'll clear up on its own. Good to know.

No new pics of Nathan, only Mela (second child neglect kicking in already??). Forgot to get a family picture of the four of us today, as planned. Maybe it's better to wait until I recover (i.e. belly shrinks) a bit more, anyway!

Mela plays ball with Grandma in her new shoes:
Grandpa, Mela, Uncle Jimmy, Grandma and Nathan. Our little living room is starting to get crowded with all these people!
Mela has received more presents in the past week that in the past year, almost! Turns out, many people keep the older kid in mind, too - very thoughtful. Dora in a backpack - it's a hit!

Comments

Angela said…
Pretty girl! I swear, it looks like she's posing! I remember in the early days Dave & I had a deal -- each and every time I got up in the night to nurse the baby -- which was every time I got up in the night -- Dave got up, too, brought me a glass of water, and made sure I was settled and had everything I needed. Then he went back to sleep, and I'd be up for around an hour nursing. Still, that glass of water, that idea that he got up, even briefly, too, helped get us through and me feel less bitter. As the months passed, I got less and less glasses of water, till I was missing those times, and in the middle of the day, nursing, I'd have to pull the ... "Hey, CAN I GET SOME WATER OVER HERE???" We do have a little present for Nathan ... but you are right -- I'll have to make sure we get one for Mela, too!
Rector Funhouse said…
That sounds like a good arrangement! Our deal is that Chris is like my get-out-of-jail free card - I handle things for as long as I can and then when I can't take it anymore (I'm too tired and he just won't settle), then I bring in the reserves. Sometimes it's fairly early on (e.g. 2 am) and sometimes I almost make it right until the end (e.g. 7 am). I try to let him sleep as long as possible and then I feel no guilt in passing the baton!

Popular Posts