No baby ... but Crystal, haircuts and huge amounts of french toast

Obviously, no new baby here.

It feels like a lifetime since the last update. Some good times but still lots of "false" contractions and sleepless nights.

Who knew that you could have so much labour without it ever actually being labour??

Finally had a mini-breakdown on Monday out of sheer exhaustion. Couldn't handle the endless discomfort anymore and just sat on the couch and cried. Was feeling totally desperate from night after night of not sleeping and knowing there's nothing I can do, either to get things going or to stop the madness.

Finally, we just escaped the house and went to our favourite restaurant across town (Grapefruit Moon). I ate a huge portion of french toast (in about 2 minutes flat) and we laughed at Mela's antics, which made me temporarily forget the belly.

Then we went to the ROM, which was totally unexpected but I've been wanting to go since we moved here (four years ago!!) and desperately needed something big to continue the distraction.

We got there an hour and a half before closing, which turned out to be perfect, since that was pretty much the limit for both Mela and me (I almost fell asleep on a bench at the end).

I couldn't concentrate on any of the exhibits but the best part really was watching Mela lose her mind from excitement. There was so much to look at (stuffed birds! dinosaur bones! a water fountain!), plus I think she just loved having a wide open space to run around in.

Since then, it's just been back to routine as usual.

On Tuesday we did a bit of shopping and Mela got her hair cut. She screamed and sobbed the entire time (what is it about haircuts that terrify kids??) but at least she looks a bit more presentable for the upcoming pics with her new baby bro.

In the evenings, I've stayed distracted by watching the CBC documentary, Hiroshima. Normally historic features are not my bag but it's a topic I didn't know much about and it was actually really well done (reenactments of political decisions, archival footage, etc). Most importantly, it was long and took my mind off every little twinge and cramp.

And tomorrow the Olympics start, which means unlimited mindless viewing!

Sleeping has gotten a little better: some nights I'm able to rest, other nights I'm half awake the entire time, with part of my mind monitoring the severity of the contractions and sounding the alarm every time I get one that's moderately uncomfortable.

Last night was good though - I now refuse to acknowledge anything that isn't crippling pain. Watch, when "real" labour starts, I won't even believe it until the baby is actually crowning.

I wish.

Here are some pictorial highlights:

Eating lunch at Grapefruit Moon:
After lunch, Mela relaxes by reading a good book:
At the ROM, Mela discovers a bunny:
BIRDS!
Not impressed with her new haircut ...
... but loves the papasan chair at Pier One:
Apparently, Mom's not the only one who's tired:
Back home, Mela stomps around and yells into her "cell phone" (day trader in the making??):
After a rough night, the girls breakfast on the couch:

Comments

KitchenCathi said…
So nice to see a picture of the cereal bowl! I have one sitting on my desk right now! Ahh, precious melamine cereal bowls.

I love the Day Trader. She cracks me up.

I have no words for you. Chin up, young person.
Rector Funhouse said…
Oh yeah - I told you, it's my favourite bowl! I use it every day.

Tonight Chris was talking on the phone with friends and Mela went and dug out her phone and started to yell into it. Made me really laugh.

Popular Posts