Eat, Sleep, Poop and Cry: Stories from the Front Lines

Nathan is currently upstairs screaming and there's nothing I can do about it.

Granted, there are two things I could do about it:
  • Nurse. But we're trying to learn 'em to fall asleep without nursing. This is because, although he's awfully cute. I don't actually want to be tethered to my son for the next four years.

  • Rock him and let him suck my finger. This really gets us not a lot further ahead than nursing. At some point, he needs to learn how to fall asleep without sucking on a part of my body.
How come this child can suck his fingers and thumb when he's being all cute and smiley but instantly forgets when it's time to sleep?? Common sense tells me that it's because he's never learned to soothe himself that way.

If only there was some way to help him learn to do this that didn't leaving him alone with his terrible temper.

I feel so bad for him, when he's shaking and melting down with fury (can't help but think he's inherited this from me) but I've learned my presence only agitates him more (it's like, "if you're not going to nurse me, you're of no use, lady!").

So I leave him alone and he finally calms down.

For example, last night at 3 am, he was wide awake (has a cold right now and is enraged by nose congestion). He nursed until there was nothing left (except pain for mum) and then was Monsieur Crank E. Pants. I think he thought I had some extra milk hidden somewhere and just wasn't sharing it.

I couldn't get him to settle down so I left the room and hung out in the bathroom for a bit (thank god for Macleans). Once he realized I was gone, of course, he fell back asleep without a peep.

What does Dr. Sears have to say about this?! Seriously, this is why people stop co-sleeping at 6 months.

***
It's 5 a.m. and all is dark and still.

Suddenly, Nathan cries out, a high-pitched, bloodcurdling scream. He shrieks for a few seconds and then starts snoring again. Apparently, it was a dream?

I am wide awake and shaking.

***
For almost a year, I've been waiting every day for my toddler to learn to talk. One by one, all of her little friends have been developing more and more advanced language ("Bike pump!") while my reserved one has shied away from anything more adventurous than the classic mama-dada combo.

Over the past two weeks, though, we've got new words almost every day. Granted, they're not always easy to understand ("shee doww" means "sit down") but we're getting better.

This new skill has some benefits ... you can ask her about her day and she can answer yes or no questions (e.g. "Did you have fun with Aunt Mary?" "Yes!").

It also has some drawbacks.

This morning, Nathan was melting down in his high chair. I was frustrated from his constant crankiness, from trying to get him to eat the damn fruit I've pureed by hand (okay, with the awesome BabyCook) that I'll have to throw out now, and from being woken up 5 times last night.

And what's Mela doing?

Pointing at Nathan and saying, "Cry! Cry! Cry! Cry. Cry? Cry!!!!"

Yeah, honey, I noticed.

***
Now that I think about it, it's been about a week again since there's been pooping on Nathan's part. Gross observation to you, maybe. A crucial piece of the puzzle for me.

(Ever notice how being a mom is like playing Nancy Drew? You're constantly grasping for clues to explain the mysterious moods of a being who can't speak but will cry for inexplicable reasons at any hour of the day. For more on this, ask my sister about what time she's been getting up this week. It's not pretty.)

No wonder the gDiapers seem to be working so well. And maybe that's why Nathan is cranky all the time.

And doing a lot of grunting ...

***
Say Click:

Stop spreading lies about me, woman! I'm a cute, happy baby!
Mela decides to take matters into her own hands and nurse Nathan:
Okay, this kid is freakin' heavy - all done!
The girls watch Mary Poppins on Saturday night (man, that movie is LONG!):
Mela likes to pretend she can whistle:
Nathan reads a book to Dad:
Sometimes the workmen come right to your house!
Nathan models his fancy Tommy Hilfiger sweats!
The funny part of this picture is Nathan reading the magazine:
Happy boy after a nap:
Random weird grunting ...


... and just like that, playtime is over:

Comments

Popular Posts