In which everyone is sleeping better, except the mama

Lots of sleep changes around here these days.

We reached the point finally last week where it was officially time for the Dad to move back into his own bedroom (now that Nathan's no longer waking up every 10 seconds) and for Nathan to actually start using his perfect little co-sleeper.

Sadly, it wasn't so simple. Apparently Nathan felt that the co-sleeper was as comfortable as a bed of nails and would scream whenever I'd lay him in it.

Not a I'm-grumpy-and-protesting-and-then-I'll-fall-asleep cry but the I'm-supremly-pissed-off-and-will-not-stop-screaming-until-I-die kind of cry.

It wasn't pretty.

And fair enough. After six month of sleeping on a luxurious pillow-top mattress (yes, bad for a newborn, I know), the rock-hard co-sleeper was hardly inviting. Plus, the weight limit is 25 lbs and our boy is currently rounding 20 and not looking back. (Seriously, he's huge!)

So after not sleeping for a couple nights (which I don't recommend), we ditched the co-sleeper and tried side-car attaching Mela's old crib to our bed.

Hoorah! It worked perfectly. It's spacious, I can feed him at night without having to lift him out and it actually fits in our room.

I then got cocky (I was on a roll!) and tried to wean him of his night-waking "habit." He's six months old and eating solids now, he doesn't need to wake up every three hours to feed, right?

Yeah. Whether he's actually hungry or not, after two nights of Battle of the Bedroom, a winner was declared.

And it wasn't me.

Why do I get the feeling this boy is going to be trouble?!

Nathan hanging out in bed while Mom talks on the phone to Aunt Cathi. Aunt Cathi calls him Fat Nate, which is hard to argue when you're shirtless:
On the other hand, things are still going great with Mela's new sleeping arrangement. We're all lovin' the no-crib setup ... it almost makes me wish we'd done it months ago. She no longer cries at night because she's trapped in a cage ... she now reads her books and plays quietly.

There's nothing sweeter than opening her door in the morning and seeing her sitting quietly in her chair, looking at a book.

And we're happier because she's happy ... although some mornings her room makes me want to just turn around and crawl back into bed.

Do I really have to clean it up every day?!

Meanwhile, Aunt Cathi has lent us an awesome BabyCook baby food maker! I've been dreading getting back into the whole baby-food thing (which was fun the first time around but really, who has the time now?!) but I'm lovin the convenience of this little baby.

The best thing about it is that you can make small portions quickly. At the rate Nathan's eating, though, we'll be on to steak dinners in no time.

Seriously, I'm going to try giving him roast beef tomorrow!

Here's my assistant steaming veggies ... the girl who won't eat any of the delicious foods we cook for her suddenly decides that RAW sweet potato is irresistable!
Seriously, you're eating a piece of CHICKEN now, just because it was on the counter?!!
Mela can turn the switch to puree!
Perfect, homemade baby food!
Moving on, Mela eats an apple (the chicken was short-lived) and reads the next recipe:
Here's the Eater (don't you just love chubby babies?!):

And in closing, here are a few random shots ...

Toys are fun!
Nathan models his gorgeous sweater from Aunt Melanie:
The thoughtful boy ...

Comments

KitchenCathi said…
Oh, those white pants.

I can't even come up with anything to say. I just want to squeeze him.

And Mimi, what a great helper! I can't wait til Jenny does stuff like that. So cute.
Rector Funhouse said…
Hehe ... like I said, white velour is never flattering. He is very squeezable, though. Like how he ripped up my Macleans?! He looks so trashy with his shirt off, I want to pose him with a beer can.

Yeahhhh, Mela is a great "helper" although if you're trying to cook something, it takes twice as long, she eats half the ingredients and it usually ends with me turning on Dora so I can finish the recipe.

Parenting is one long exercise in patience, I've decided.

Popular Posts