Goodbye grammie, sleepy weeping, Ms. Tester and Mr. H. Pants

Well, Grammie is off to the airport. What a whirlwind week ... it feels like she just got here and now she's gone.

It was great visit, as usual, though, for all of us. She got to have some quality grandbaby time, the kids got undivided attention from a fun adult (instead of empty promises from a stressed mom) and I got to run all kinds of errands, eat entire meals without stopping, and even blow-dry my new hair-do (new sleep means big change!).

It's good to have some quiet time too, though. We'll now go back to being slavishly devoted to our routine. It's amazing how easily I get distracted and forget to do little things, like make baby food, plan dinner or bath my children.

Something funny is up that I need to figure out, too. I just realized that I've been pretty "moody" the past few days, for no really good reason. I'm getting such heaps of sleep, so I expected to feel great, but have instead been surprisingly cranky with my husband, stressed by my kids and even a little weepy over minor things.

I started to clue in when I choked up (tears in my eyes!) while telling my friend Amanda about sleep training but really, that is a very emotional issue, so fair enough.

But then today I started to read a blog post from a local mom and almost instantly burst into tears. It is a really touching post (I've been in that exact spot and felt like a monster) but still. Sobbing seemed a bit much.

Since it seems hormonal, wonder if this is related to nursing less? Hmmm, it would make sense, since milk production is tied in with all the hormones, right?

Okay, just did some reading on night weaning and mood swings (thank god for Moxie) and turns out that other moms have gone through the same thing! I'm going to try Moxie's trifecta of massage, exercise and daily Omega 3's.

Do you think I can convince the DiRector that 15 mins of massage is better than an entire day of cranky wife?

In kid news, Mela has had a hard few days. Just glad I had backup here while it's been happening, which meant I could see it with some humour ("Oh, you don't want to eat breakfast but want to stand at my chair and say "Dora!" 50 times? Hmm, okay, let's test that limit!").

A lot of things just seem to be the end of the world lately. Let's hope it doesn't continue like this for the next two years.

And in a surprising role switch, Nathan has been the Golden Child. Does nothing but sleep, eat, and smile. It's almost scary, he's so fun to be around!

Of course, he'll probably start teething next week. But for now, all the planets have aligned for him and he is Mr. Happy Pants.

Which is awesome because of anyone, Nathan deserves some happy times.

Not many pics but here's a few:

Classic parenting moment: The Bedbugs are brutal to listen to first thing in the morning (SO high pitched!) but when they make your toddler sit quietly like this ("reading" the liner notes), it's totally worth it:
Grammie gets a baby snuggle!
After a tough day, Mela beaches out on the couch and watches TV in her Dora sleeping bag. Sounds pretty good to me.
After Earth Hour, Mela discovers the magic of the head lamp:
Nathan plays with the clean-up cloth, just like Mela at this age:
Turns out Mela CAN smell her own stinky toes!
Don't even THINK of taking this soother, lady!
Grammie's are great for a lot of things, especially cookies!



Comments

Popular Posts