Two mamas and one formula for happiness

Mama with sleep:
I was able to take a brief nap yesterday (went another round with Nathan Tuesday night and lost again!) and discovered that 80% of my problems don't actually exist. Apparently, they're all just figments of a sleep-deprived mind.

Turns out that Life with sleep is all blooming hyacinths smelling sweetly, and spring sunshine, and warm breezes in my daughter's fine hair as she laughs.

Mama without sleep:
Decided to let it go last night and just nurse "on demand" as usual, if only to get some rest. I also stuffed him full of food yesterday, in the hope of getting more than a couple hours of sleep in a row (some say it's an old wives tale, but I'm willing to try anything!).

Turns out, we're apparently off the routine now though and Nate-Dog decided he needed not only to nurse every two hours but to nurse to sleep after each feeding as well.

And I don't know if you've ever tried it, but it's very, very hard to negotiate with a howling baby at 3 a.m. (I'm currently picking out a gift basket for my neighbours.)

As long as he sees me in the room, he is willing to cry for as long as it takes to get what he wants. It doesn't matter if I sing to him, pat him or offer any other comfort; he DEMANDS to nurse to sleep sometimes. But it's not hunger (as I've often convinced myself) - he does it AFTER his feeding and does the "comfort suck" and not the "I'm starving" suck.

On one hand, you could say that he's only doing this because it's what he's learned and he's not to blame.

That's true and I'm all for offering comfort to a baby in a need (nobody said this job would be easy) but sometimes you have to draw the line of how much of yourself you're able to give and still be functional.

For example, I forgot to buckle him all the way in to the stroller this morning (only did one side) when I was trying to herd both kids to the park. The stroller got caught on the porch step and I pushed it too hard to get it loose (while trying to juggle Amelia) and flipped Nathan completely out. He flew forward and came within an inch of smacking his head on the sidewalk ... thank god I at least buckled one side.

Rookie mistake that I wouldn't have made if I hadn't been so frustrated and tired.

So this is the end, my friends.

I have officially reached the point where: the utter misery I feel (due to lack of sleep + knowing what a bad parent I am to both kids when exhausted) > my desire to sleep with him in the same room + the pain I feel listening to little Senor cry.

He's moving out tonight, folks.

There will still be crying, I'm sure. At least now it will be further away ...

Say click:

Here comes the sun (and actually using the back yard!):
Just hanging out, playing trains:
Caught in the act of eating prunes:
Mela and Aunt Mary have a St. Patrick's Day cookie date!!
Mela is a generous person, especially when it comes to sprinkles:
Family dinner:
Turns out that Mela will eat 6 adult servings of ham. Who knew she was craving *salty* meat?!
The girls:

Comments

Mlle. said…
The answer was HAM?!
KitchenCathi said…
Damn salty ham. I love it. Salt is ALWAYS the answer. You go, Mimi, niece of mine!

She'll probably love the Thai Tom Yum recipe I just sent.

Argh, so frustrated for you on the sleep battle losses. Rally the troops and do what you can to survive. BaNa will be fine, you will be fine, and one day we will look back at this and laugh at how dumb we were for thinking we could do this in the first place.

Good luck with getting some cool, refreshing, delicious sleep this weekend!

Popular Posts