Where is the mother whose house is so shocking

You might have read this before but I just saw it for the first time and (of course), it made me totally lose it.

Will post an update soon ... things have gotten a bit better here now.

Song for a Fifth Child
Ruth Hulburt Hamilton

Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing and butter the bread,
Sew on a button and make up a bed.

But where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She’s up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I’ve grown shiftless as Little Boy Blue
(Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
(Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo).
The shopping’s not done and there’s nothing for stew
And out in the yard, there’s a hullabaloo
But I’m playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
Look! Aren’t her eyes the most wonderful hue?
(Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).

The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow,
For children grow up, as I’ve learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.


Mama & the Boy:

Comments

Carly said…
Had a bawl over this one, especially on the eve of my return to work. I copied, pasted, and sent it to all my mama friends.

p.s. We are moving to Victoria in September for a year but will be buying a house in Halifax a year from them. We must get the rugrats + Catie Clover together for a play date.
Amelia's Mom said…
I think the hormones might make it a little more touching (my husband didn't melt at all) but I love it.

Ha - wow, a move to Victoria! Look at us crazy people, moving all over the country with kids.

Would love a rugrat playdate ... especially can't wait for Nate to put the moves on lovely, innocent Catie.

Popular Posts