The Modern Woman Working


So as mentioned before, I'm a working mom these days.

Not that I wasn't "working" before ... I'm just getting paid for it now.

(And I get to leave the house. And drink fancy coffees. And wear nice clothes with very little baby food splatters.)

It was initially supposed to be only 12 or 15 hrs a week, which was great. Have my coffee and drink it too.

And it was going great. But now a couple more projects have come up and I'm finding it all a bit much, with Nathan blessing us with a 4 am nursing session and a 6 am wake up.

Poor little guy definitely has a tooth breaking through, though, so he's suffering more than anyone (I keep reminding myself).

On one hand, it's great (money! experience!) but I'm discovering that working has an ugly side as well (kids go a little mental, I get physical pangs if I'm away from them too much, house doesn't clean itself, we do actually have to cook a meal eventually, etc).

So I've now learned that I need to put some limits on my involvement, which is hard when you're a yes-man (yes-woman?) kind of person and really need the money (move across the country! buy a new car! buy a house!).

It's one thing to put in some time now (guiding motive = packers!) but once summer really starts, I want to enjoy the great weather, in a great city, with great friends and family (once school's out!) and two great kids.

It's too much for me to come home and see that my daughter played with sidewalk chalk for the first time today and I wasn't here.

As my little sister reminded me the other day, though, it's not like I was away from my kids to work a 9 hours shift at MacDonalds.

We are rich indeed.

Say click:

Nathan plays piano in the early morning hours:

Mela gives some pointers:

Fat Nate is starting to lose some of his rolls but still looks good in his "g's":

Reading a book with dad, rockin the Baby Legs:

Mela playing "pretend" with her new penguin, mama monkey and little bird's nest:

Tale One:


Take Two:

Comments

Mlle. said…
Hmm, one of the hardest parts was missing the sidewalk chalk? Well I've got news for you miss. Mela and I found fat sidewalk chalk at the park months ago and did whole pictures on the basketball court, so some of those smaller milestones get missed even when you're giving them 110%.
I think its very important to know where you need to draw your lines though. Looking forward to all that July offers!
Aaralynn's Mom said…
I didn't know you when back to work. So what is your advice. I was planning to go back to work in Sept., however after talking to a few people I'm not too sure now.
Rector Funhouse said…
Hey Audrey - Yep, doing some consulting work right now.

I definitely wouldn't plan to start working again until Baby Bee is at least two or three months old. Until then, you'll probably be too tired and overwhelmed, even if you have a Jelly (i.e. easy baby).

Personally, I wasn't ready to leave Mela with anyone until she was about 11 months old, but that's more because she was a very attached/shy kid.

You'll only be part-time, though, right? So that will be easier. Let's talk more in person!
KitchenCathi said…
Videos = SO CUTE. Love the stories.

Try not to burn proverbial candle at both ends too much. Hope sleep is happening while you're so busy and torn.

Nate = SO funny. Sad he won't be 'Fat Nate' any more. Will have to come up with another 'Godfather' name for him.

CALL ME.

Popular Posts